Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 09:15:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Precise range visual option  (Read 761 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
Precise range visual option
« on: March 02, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »

An option to make the range visual perfectly accurate.
Am i the only one to find the fact that the visual representation of the range of a lot of things being inaccurate somewhat annoying? I mean it certainly looks better than the actual range would, but i'm not even sure if the red border is supposed to represent the last tiles in range or the first tiles that aren't.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Precise range visual option
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 05:15:33 PM »

Yeah in almost a decade you're the first person to mention this despite all the min-maxers who are always bringing up little things on Discord, so... not a common sentiment :P (I always wondered when someone was going to bring this up!)

It was designed this way on purpose both for aesthetic reasons and also because it saves a lot of processing, but is also generally lenient such that the interior will always be the effective range, while there are only a handful of relevant cells in range on the edge itself.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 05:18:18 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:50:25 AM »

Yeah in almost a decade you're the first person to mention this despite all the min-maxers who are always bringing up little things on Discord, so... not a common sentiment :P (I always wondered when someone was going to bring this up!)
When i remembered why i would've wanted that, i realized that there probably weren't many people with my caves playstyle. (Shooting at grunts using lrn. electromagnetic weaponry (if available) and at the rest using penetrating ballistic weapons through walls(carving said walls using a thermal cannon if necessary), while using possibly available traps as well, and a ECM suite if i have one. When i have the weapons to allow it, that strategy allows me to clean out pretty much every cave from all enemies except behemoths while taking little damage in return.(I once cleaned out an entire proxy caves taking no damage whatsoever!¹) The downside of this is of course the high alert level i have when i get back to 0b10.)

¹A time other than that one time a proxy cave was full of non-combat derelict bots.(At least i'm pretty sure it was a proxy caves.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 09:56:38 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 10:11:09 PM »

Ah I see. That kinda goes beyond what even most optimizers are willing to bother with :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon