Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 10:50:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Sensor range visual toggle  (Read 946 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
Sensor range visual toggle
« on: March 02, 2022, 10:21:25 AM »

I'd like to be able to toggle the sensor range visual, so it would be on screen without having to hover the mouse cursor over the sensor range, just like Farcom's range. (might also be nice for other types of infowar.)

Reason for suggestion :
One thing i often do at -7 and after when my sensor range is too low to pick up bots outside the base vision range is that i put my mouse cursor onto said sensor to see the range and be able to take the best available precautions to avoid surprise encounters, which means i have to switch out of my usual input method. Thankfully, because i usually have a sensor range above 16, i don't do that very often. With Beta 11 lowering the max sensor range to 20, i'm guessing i'll end up doing this somewhat annoying thing way more often. (Unless i grow fond of the active sensor suite, of course.) Also it'd be nice to have a constant representation of what you can sense.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Sensor range visual toggle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 05:10:22 PM »

While I can understand the sentiment, I don't plan to add this. There are a lot of design issues caused by doing so, hence the current approach via hover or toggling (in the case of keyboard users) where it's mainly used as a supporting feature when you need to be really precise, as opposed to most of the time just relying on a general idea of approximate range based on experience.

Only radii functionality based on non-part features will get persistent visual aids.

Also it actually sounds like you're a keyboard player, in which case you don't have to switch to mouse mode or hover over the part, just quickly toggle the active state--off and on again, since it's a free action and that's why the animation shows you the exact range of infowar and a bunch of other utilities. I do this a few times per run when I need that precise range info for some utility (e.g. sensors, or actually more commonly transmission jammers, remote shields, etc).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »

Also it actually sounds like you're a keyboard player,
I'm a mouse player, actually. Although i do sometimes use the numpad. (Other than when i use the mouse to make a makeshift visual toggle, i mean.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 10:09:37 PM »

Oh what? Am I reading that wrong? You said you have to "put the mouse cursor onto the sensor... which means switching out of" your usual input method, I thought that implied you were using keyboard to begin with. (All kinda beside the point since I was just offering an alternative under that assumption, anyway, but don't see how that means you're a mouse player, curios.)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 10:02:40 AM »

Sorry for the imprecision, what i meant was that when i put the mouse cursor over the sensor, because i can't use it anymore(otherwise i would have to move it off the sensor), i have to switch out of using it into using the keyboard's numpad.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 06:25:17 PM »

Ah now I get what you meant, to maintain a circle while moving...