Grid Sage Forums

• May 14, 2024, 09:35:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Derelict terminal is "local access only"  (Read 1533 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
Derelict terminal is "local access only"
« on: May 09, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »

Giving non-malware commands you'd normally input on 0B10 terminals (Like Analysis(swarmer)) on a derelict terminal (I tried it on EX-vault and oracle interface) gives the message "This terminal is local access only" which feels somewhat weird, because i'd expect to see that message on 0B10 terminals only. (But maybe intended, i don't know)

On a related note, "Local access only" terminals don't get the negative side effects of central database lockdowns but can still trigger them, at least through indirect hacking :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Derelict terminal is "local access only"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »

Cool, I'll look into addressing these. Yeah the local access thing is a new mechanic so might still have some oddities like that.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Derelict terminal is "local access only"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 10:55:39 PM »

Hm, certainly don't want indirectly hackable lore entries due to manually assigned queries on a local terminal like the case you mentioned (actually the only case in the game I think xD)*, but I'm seeing that the "local access only" response on derelict terminals was an intentional decision, likely to avoid confusing players who might think they typed it incorrectly, added long before the "local access" terminals were a thing, and even before hacking autocompletion, so maybe it's not necessary anymore.

*Edit: Oh, funny enough I already took this into consideration in the code, but not for that one particular terminal xD

Edit 2: Oh, hm... well there's notes that this particular instance is supposed to be allowed as an indirect way to get more info from the database, since technically terminals like this are still connected to the network, just indirect hacks aren't possible... Guess I should change it if it might confuse people, even though such a change will conflict with lore elsewhere implying that these terminals are still actually in some ways interacting with the network on a limited basis, which is why it was this way in the first place...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:11:29 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon