Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 09:01:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Black screen/Unresponsive on startup  (Read 2204 times)

Vice

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Black screen/Unresponsive on startup
« on: July 19, 2019, 02:26:30 AM »

I recently downloaded Cogmind again but the game wont start.
I click Play in steam, my screen goes black but the game is completely unresponsive.
Tried launching as admin, no change.

Made a dxdiag but i'm reluctant to post it on a public forum, I don't know exactly what info is in a dxdiag...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Black screen/Unresponsive on startup
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »

Hi Vice, this won't be a dxdiag thing so that's not something to worry about here (since that's for video cards and unlike most games Cogmind uses software mode and doesn't access your video card directly). This is almost certainly caused by an error in Steam's cloud saves service which corrupts Cogmind's meta data. This has been happening to several Steam players recently, and the solution can be found in this thread.

Let me know how it works out, and if it's not that then I can take a look at your run.log file which shows what Cogmind is doing on startup and isolates the issue.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Vice

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »

Hi Vice, this won't be a dxdiag thing so that's not something to worry about here (since that's for video cards and unlike most games Cogmind uses software mode and doesn't access your video card directly). This is almost certainly caused by an error in Steam's cloud saves service which corrupts Cogmind's meta data. This has been happening to several Steam players recently, and the solution can be found in this thread.

Let me know how it works out, and if it's not that then I can take a look at your run.log file which shows what Cogmind is doing on startup and isolates the issue.

It does not help. I also tried to deleted Cogmind entierly and re-install but the issue persists.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 06:43:54 PM »

Take a copy of run.log from your Cogmind directory and attach it here, that will tell what stage the startup process reaches and should help troubleshoot why. The cause will be something specific to your setup, so I can't make any further guesses without more info :)

Vice

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 03:34:19 AM »

Here you go

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »

Yeah it's being caused by the same thing I mentioned earlier, which can be seen at the end of the run.log. The meta data is corrupted (so it can't be loaded properly), and this is caused by Steam cloud having failed or incompleted a data transfer last time you played. Just reinstalling doesn't solve this because Steam will still load your corrupted meta data from their cloud.

As per the instructions in the thread I linked earlier:

Looks like your game metadata got corrupted. All you need to do to resolve it is delete the /user/game.bin file in the Cogmind directory.

This will unfortunately clear any of your collected lore and some other metadata (previous achievements will be redownloaded from Steam so that's not a problem), but Cogmind also saves multiple backups of older metadata so you could try to restore from those first if you like/want to retain your records. To do this, copy the game.bin file from a recent /bak/ directory to the /user/ directory, and try to start it like that.

(Note that if you have Steam cloud enabled, it can interfere with you trying to replace files in that directory, so you might want to turn it off for the best effect.)
You can ignore the middle part about backups since you're reinstalling from scratch anyway, but the important bit is that you need to deactivate Steam cloud for Cogmind while you're fixing this, otherwise Steam will just use the bad data anyway (the cloud upload was probably stopped midway through on a previous run, and for some reason Steam doesn't actually check whether they've successfully updated a file, leading to corruption :/).

Vice

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »

Ah. My bad for not paying enough attention.
But thank you for the help!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »

No problem, enjoy :D