Grid Sage Forums

• May 17, 2024, 04:50:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 8.1] Map memory and faulty items  (Read 1119 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 8.1] Map memory and faulty items
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:36:41 AM »

Faulty items don't show the faulty label when they are out of your field of view, but the filter on 3 does still filter them out initially. I think it should probably label them faulty just as it does when they are within field of view. (Maybe with a red label to indicate faulty?)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 8.1] Map memory and faulty items
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 04:14:17 AM »

Yeah this isn't a bug, it's intentionally handled this way so far because it's a lot of extra data to store for all items. Items outside view may no longer exist, so copies are stored and maintained. The amount of data stored in these copies has expanded over time, and I've considered adding this, but I think there might be some other issues involved. Currently no plans for this.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »

I keep noticing this e.g. with the locate_prototypes hack. The map already seems to store whether or not the item is faulty, otherwise I am not sure why it would filter out faulty items initially but label them with a second press of 3? See attached screenshots and save for an example of what I mean, I am not sure my description was clear. I would think the map would either label them immediately (not revealing that they're faulty) or show Faulty in the label in the case where it doesn't label them immediately since it clearly knows they are.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:07:58 PM »

Yeah it's true that while we didn't have access to that info in previous years, it's now technically available under some circumstances. Unfortunately it's part of a different system that isn't normally accessible to that type of label. I'll see about adding this feature, although it will also require expanding the old/duplicate map data for items even further because then we'll also need other special statuses like Rigged. Certainly a good thing to have them, if possible, though! I know this has certainly bothered me in the past quite a few times, so maybe time to bite the bullet and just absorb the costs.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »

Alrighty there we go, spent a couple hours rewriting the label system to fully support item status indicators both inside and outside of FOV ("broken" wasn't even a status reflected when in view, which was annoying, too!).