Grid Sage Forums

• May 21, 2024, 08:42:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Display bug: Staircase (to mines) displaying as a door  (Read 1502 times)

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Display bug: Staircase (to mines) displaying as a door
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:33:27 AM »

I hacked a terminal to see branch access points, then went to the closest mine staircase. I expected it to be the usual stair icon, instead it displayed as a door. Maybe this is just my ignorance, and sometimes mine access points display this way?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Display bug: Staircase (to mines) displaying as a door
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:40:31 AM »

Yep, normal. That happens because you hacked it and already knew where it led. If you don't know where an exit leads, it will always show as stairs (otherwise it would be trivial to distinguish between Complex 0b10 exits and branch exits, even without properly identifying them). You'll see the same thing happen if you equip any Signal Interpreter and walk up to an unidentified exit.

The reasoning behind using a different representation for the two types of exits (once you do know) is that only stairs will take you to the next depth and allow you to evolve, while door (branch) exits remain at the same depth, i.e. no evolution.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:04:20 AM »

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 03:08:58 AM »

It's more fun if you can accidentally find yourself in a branch when you thought for sure you were about to evolve. This will be even more fun later when there are more branches actually in there ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bluemoo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 03:12:05 AM »

Oh, that's definitely happened :) Actually, I'm so used to not being sure where I'm going to end up through staircases, that I never thought the icon could change!