Grid Sage Forums

• May 20, 2024, 11:47:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Game does not start if there is no audio device found [Alpha 2b]  (Read 1149 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile

Well, this is a weird one...

My current audio setup is a set of cheap headphones which I plug into the audio jack.  I often have to use the headphones for other things and if I'm working I don't always plug anything into my computer for audio.

I had a quick break, fired up Cogmind to pass some time and didn't bother to plug in headphones (I'm running a Windows 7 desktop and if there is no audio device the speaker symbol in the task bar will have a cross through it).  The program will crash before getting to the start menu and generate a crash file with the last few lines:

I=0000289 |   \---DONE
I=0000527 |   Setting video mode
I=0000639 |   Initializing audio
F=0000662 |   XAudio() | Mix_OpenAudio() failed to initializeDirectSoundCreate: No audio device found

I tried disabling the audio manually through my settings (usually this is achieved by just pulling out the headphones) with the headphones plugged in and got the same crash:

F=0000648 |   XAudio() | Mix_OpenAudio() failed to initializeDirectSoundCreate: No audio device found

It's hardly game-breaking, but something that may cause hearing impaired people who have no use for audio devices or weirdos (like me) who listen to a radio when gaming some minor issues.  If this is the demographic you're shooting for it might be more serious than I thought!

Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:21:17 AM by jimmijamjams »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Game does not start if there is no audio device found [Alpha 2b]
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »

Definitely something to fix! I should've known this was a problem, because it's actually an underlying engine issue and even impacts REXPaint! I had someone report this for REXPaint before, and it has been on a future TODO list, but I never did get around to it yet.

Hilarity that REXPaint requires an audio device aside, this should definitely be fixed for Cogmind!

Not a serious bug so it can wait until the next release, but something that needs to be addressed. Thanks!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Game does not start if there is no audio device found [Alpha 2b]
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »

Hilarity that REXPaint requires an audio device aside, this should definitely be fixed for Cogmind!

Not a serious bug so it can wait until the next release, but something that needs to be addressed. Thanks!

"REXPaint, a symphony of sound!" - PC Gamer

Happy to help :)