Grid Sage Forums

• May 06, 2024, 03:26:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Accuracy Oddity  (Read 1328 times)

Adraius

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Accuracy Oddity
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »

Potential bug that I want to run past people and see if I'm missing something obvious.  The other day I was taking on a Behemoth and was surprised that my accuracy wasn't as crazy-high as I'd expect from my utilities and the target's size bonus, at 'only' 95%.

The base chance to hit is 60%; 60%
I was out of its sight range, so I stood in place for two turns to settle my aim: +10%; 70%
I had three Advanced Targeting Computers equipped: +36%; 106%
The target is Huge: +30%; 136%
The target had no accuracy reducing utilities (I know, I've terminally corrupted a few of them and got to see every last one of their parts): -0%; 136%
I'm fairly certain my recoil was approximately the amount neutralized by my treads; for the sake of argument, let's say I'm wrong and it was a full 10 over: -10%; 126%
I was firing several energy cannons, so for the sake of argument let's say those and my utilities spiked me to warning levels, which I know wasn't the case; 300 heat = -9%; 117%

Where did the rest of my accuracy go?  Was there a cap of 95% instated in Alpha 3?  I recall having an accuracy of 103% once against a Programmer in Alpha 2.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:14:14 PM by Adraius »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Accuracy Oddity
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »

There is an accuracy cap of 95% (the good old "I rolled a 1!"). I should put that in the manual right now :P

There was a bug in a recent version that was still showing your uncapped accuracy value, but that was fixed. Is there somewhere in the game that you or anyone else is still seeing a value greater than 95%?

Edit: I should add that you also have a minimum 10% to hit a target, no matter what.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:48:51 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Adraius

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:13:26 PM »

Ah, that explains it - I did note that the chance corresponded to the chance of rolling a 1 on a d20, in fact! (DnD 5e player here!)

I did find it odd I only saw a hit chance of over 100% literally only that one time - that was back before I knew the mechanics as well, and I figured that particular Programmer must of gotten crazy hot or something to give me that hit chance (now I realize the effect of heat on accuracy is actually quite minor).  So no, the cap of 95% is now functioning correctly everywhere I have seen. =) And thanks for mentioning the 10% minimum - stick that in the manual too for when someone tries out a ton of Cloaking Devices and can't figure out why they aren't completely invincible! =P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:48:50 PM by Adraius »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 12:11:05 AM »

Haha, yes, the 10% low is more for the enemy than it is for you! (I foresaw the Cloaking Device exploit =p)

I tend to think of all percentages in terms of d20 rolls, and generally stick to multiples of five, except where I can't :) (I don't play anymore but I grew up with a good bit of PnP including mostly d20 systems.)

Added that to the manual for the next release.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon