• May 04, 2024, 04:07:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Early Alpha Impressions!  (Read 7627 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Early Alpha Impressions!
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 02:01:43 AM »

Hehe, no. It's because they're capable of building walls, and after much pre-alpha testing that was determined to be OP. So the reasoning is purely a mechanics thing, nothing to do with lore in this case. Same with most of the other robots you can't hack (though the number is small compared to those you can).
Yeah it's fun to unleash tunnelers that get swarmed by engineers :D
That you can do to your heart's content :)

I've gotten the B-99 Schematic, but no fabricators allow you to make it.

Apparently it only takes 300 matter  :P
Oh interesting, so you can get the schematic! Well, I'm still going to remove that because yeah you're not supposed to be able to build them. Before release I did lower all the matter costs of fabrication because it was too hard before (also time costs were higher)--needed to make it a little more accessible. Will continue to tweak. Next I'd like to make parts fabricate in caches, in the same way you can produce multiple robots at once.

And to add to my earlier replies to you Arseface, thanks for bringing up the ESC to access help/game menu thing. Last night before bed I realized I really did need to add that one, too. I originally avoided it intentionally because there can be lots of ESC-pressing and you may accidentally open it, but I think everyone's better than that... and it will catch a few extra players who don't see the other prompts.

I've been using manual commands just to get Schematics for slightly better power sources and propulsion. This method seems fairly reliable if you spend about 5 minutes working on it. After that I go back to running around and blowing things up. I have to say repair stations have saved my ass a couple of times recently. I think I like them more than the terminals at this point  ;)
I'm glad you find Repair Stations useful! I personally never use them, and was wondering if anyone else would at all, but then I'm more of a non-stop run-and-gun kind of player myself...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 03:26:41 AM »

Oh interesting, so you can get the schematic! Well, I'm still going to remove that because yeah you're not supposed to be able to build them. Before release I did lower all the matter costs of fabrication because it was too hard before (also time costs were higher)--needed to make it a little more accessible. Will continue to tweak. Next I'd like to make parts fabricate in caches, in the same way you can produce multiple robots at once.
I actually thought it was kind of neat having the schematic. It lets you look at the parts log whenever. I'd rather the impossible schematics just have some sort of disclaimer. Possibly make them buildable in specific branches that cater to their uses without letting them escape.

Oh, and it was a basic single tile level 1 terminal I got it from  8)
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 04:38:09 AM »

I actually thought it was kind of neat having the schematic. It lets you look at the parts log whenever.
In retrospect I believe that's why I enabled that, as an alternative way to get their stats (as opposed to scanning via sensors).

I'd rather the impossible schematics just have some sort of disclaimer. Possibly make them buildable in specific branches that cater to their uses without letting them escape.

Oh, and it was a basic single tile level 1 terminal I got it from  8)
Take off those glasses. Not cool! (But hey, that's part of alpha, you get to sometimes do crazy stuff that won't be possible in the full game =p)

A disclaimer could be a better solution, yeah. That can be shown in the schematic info instead of the Fabrication details.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »

I really have to use machines and terminals damn it, I tend to go full weapon to blow shit up and I end up destroyed all the time ahah. Seriously the game is fun even if you just (try to) gun down everything. In the long run, it is not the best solution and hacking feels like being the best solution just for the possibility to repair things.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »

Mmmm, I think the beauty of the game is that you can play it however you'd like. I just made it to -3 on my first serious run-n-gun attempt, so I would hardly say that hacking is necessary. It's just an accessory to a different style of play.
Pages: 1 [2]