Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 01:21:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: First Recorded Win Per Build Compilation  (Read 6759 times)

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
First Recorded Win Per Build Compilation
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:17 PM »

I figured it's best to start this early on.

Record a win and I'll update the post with the version number and your name. Since not everybody goes to the forums this'll be limited to our little community. Still, should be fun. If there are people who've won already I'll figure something out for you.

Post proof of winnings, probably a screenshot and I'll add your name to the list. A mod or something can edit these posts in case I die. I'll tidy this post up soon.

PS: No more than 3 dev stages please ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:25:13 PM by Arseface »
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Re: First Recorded Win Per Build Compilation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »

Alpha 1 - Biomatter - May 28, 2015 - Score 5083
Alpha 1b - Biotmatter - June 11, 2015 - Score 6718
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:35:18 AM by Arseface »
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:45 PM »

Reserved for beta winners
-Somebody

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »

Reserved for post-release winners
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »

Haha, and here I saw this thread pop up and was like someone won already?! Not that it's impossible with some dedication and (this early) probably focusing on a very specific strategy, but still ;)

PS: No more than 3 dev stages please ;D
You didn't get the memo? After Alpha we're going Beta (2016), Gamma (2017), Zeta (2018) and then, finally, I'll start calling it 0.10 :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »

Haha, and here I saw this thread pop up and was like someone won already?! Not that it's impossible with some dedication and (this early) probably focusing on a very specific strategy, but still ;)
Nah, still waiting on my card. I figured it'd be better to have this up before somebody wins so they know to screencap it. Wouldn't want anybody lamenting a win.

I'll certainly be vying for a spot once I can though.
-Somebody

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »

I don't even know the final goal of the game or how levels there are or... well, in fact I don't know shit aha

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:17:48 AM »

I don't even know the final goal of the game or how levels there are or... well, in fact I don't know shit aha
Haha, well, you can start piecing together the background story by hacking terminal records. Later on the story will be a bit more interactive and require less proactive effort on your part (though you'll only understand some of the details by parsing records).

But a major element of the game is exploration and discovery, so not know what's going on is normal right now :)

The story can wait until you know how to kick butt and have time/hacks to spare at terminals!

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 05:17:20 PM »

Alpha 1 - Biomatter - May 28, 2015 - Score 5083

Wow, my highest score so far is 3846, that's not so far from it.
Could it be possible to see the post-mortem stats? It should be uploaded by the winner as proof and object of idolatry  ;D

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »

Haha, check my thread in Stories. It's got a screencap of the victory screen and I uploaded a pastebin of the score log :P

You're right, stealth runs are generally really low scoring. 95% of my points came from simply ascending floors (500 per). However, I am starting to de-stress and do shooty-shooty runs and I just got a high score of 10,910. I only made it to -3 though.

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »

Well done !

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 04:18:07 AM »

Yo Arseface, I don't mean to be rude but you said you wanted to be the first victory on Alpha 1b and I can't have that.

Score Sheet

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 04:34:01 AM »

Yo Arseface, I don't mean to be rude but you said you wanted to be the first victory on Alpha 1b and I can't have that.

Score Sheet
I hope you step on a lego. With bare feet.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:36:07 AM by Arseface »
-Somebody

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:54 AM »

Score Sheet

Bwahaha!

Also, congratulations!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 06:19:13 AM »

Maybe you guys can have a new rule that prohibits the same person from winning two builds in a row? Otherwise we may as well rename them the OCD Biomatter Charts :P

On a more serious note, why not also allow highest score to be a thing? I guess that's a little more difficult to keep track of than a black and white win state, something we'd need a leaderboard to automate.

And congratulations biomatter--your discovery at the end of this run could have come at any other time, but hit right at that particularly epic moment. SO lucky... I hear biomatter was actually saved by a hostile Programmer.

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »

Maybe you guys can have a new rule that prohibits the same person from winning two builds in a row? Otherwise we may as well rename them the OCD Biomatter Charts :P

On a more serious note, why not also allow highest score to be a thing? I guess that's a little more difficult to keep track of than a black and white win state, something we'd need a leaderboard to automate.

And congratulations biomatter--your discovery at the end of this run could have come at any other time, but hit right at that particularly epic moment. SO lucky... I hear biomatter was actually saved by a hostile Programmer.
About scores in general: i think Zach (from Zachtronics) is quite right with his approach: have more than one axis on which to grade(could be hard for non-puzzle) and have histograms instead of "TOP X" to see where you are in the whole. Seeing that you are "#1345" means nothing... Though currently this is not a problem but maybe for future development of automated scoreboards?

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »

Are you trying to kill me?! Jesus christ, as if I need more things to keep on top of... I can't do everything!
If we go THAT infernal route, though, I think I'm off to a good start with a high score of 10,910 in Alpha 1. I need more time in this new version to grind out a decent score.

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:01 AM »

Congratulations for your SECOND win !

*Crying in a corner *

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »

About scores in general: i think Zach (from Zachtronics) is quite right with his approach: have more than one axis on which to grade(could be hard for non-puzzle) and have histograms instead of "TOP X" to see where you are in the whole. Seeing that you are "#1345" means nothing... Though currently this is not a problem but maybe for future development of automated scoreboards?
For a while I thought about changing the performance rating section of the score system (it's mostly just carried over from the 7DRL), and up until recently the plan was to do that at some point in order to take more factors into account. But now I'm starting to believe it might be good as is, because while simple, it does a pretty good job of reflecting the difficulty of a run.

Sure you can win by running for your life through the entire Complex--that's both an entirely valid win, and was designed from the start to be the "easy" road to victory. (Comparatively easy, anyway; it's not exactly easy...) But the higher your score, the more dangerous your run because you obviously encountered and overcame more obstacles, and that danger increases exponentially with your score. Not to belittle taking the stealth/speed approach, but because it allows you to circumvent some of the difficulty factors it should be somewhat less rewarding in terms of score.

Another metric I was earlier considering taking into account, one that could benefit stealth runs (in terms of score), is to include the percentage of the world that you explored in a given run, but I don't know if that's worth it. For now the value is recorded in the stats, though.

Also, as of Alpha 1b we have a new "bonus" performance component, which is used to give you points for a win, and will later on reward you for engaging in plot-related events when they become available in branches. So that could become another possible source of points for the stealth approach, akin to earning XP for roleplaying encounters in an RPG.

If you look at the 7DRL tournament results from 2012, you'll see that I'm all for recognizing alternative victories as well :D. This is something that I believe will be great fun if and when we import all scoresheets into a database capable of comparing all kinds of metrics, not just score.

Supernovadx

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »

Yea, I think that would be cool. I have no idea how to do that, but I'd certainly like to help out on that as well.
-SupernovaDX

ukulele

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

Oh - that's some impressive data tracking... I was curious "how" hi-score fitted into the game in terms not only of "performance" or "competition" but game "story" too: Is the cogmind on a mission to collect/cull data before escaping?

Are check-points / info hubs a consideration as additional objectives to "in and out in a flash"?

That data suggests lots of ways for players to interpret their runs. :-)

Finally, does "seed ID" provide the means of recruiting the same map for others to try and compare runs by? That's a nice option to have!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »

Oh - that's some impressive data tracking... I was curious "how" hi-score fitted into the game in terms not only of "performance" or "competition" but game "story" too: Is the cogmind on a mission to collect/cull data before escaping?

Are check-points / info hubs a consideration as additional objectives to "in and out in a flash"?

I can't spoil anything lore related., though there will be bonus points for triggering certain plot-related encounters, and others will give you access to new content on that run, thereby indirectly providing you with ways to improve your score.

Finally, does "seed ID" provide the means of recruiting the same map for others to try and compare runs by? That's a nice option to have!
Correct. After you play you can replay the same world, or give the seed to others to play. There will at some point be player seed competitions based on that. Those can start any time--a few players have already expressed interest.

ukulele

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »

I can't spoil anything lore related., though there will be bonus points for triggering certain plot-related encounters, and others will give you access to new content on that run, thereby indirectly providing you with ways to improve your score.

Correct. After you play you can replay the same world, or give the seed to others to play. There will at some point be player seed competitions based on that. Those can start any time--a few players have already expressed interest.

Righto, already several steps of thinking ahead, again.  :D

The impression I get from "the cogmind boots up..." intro (acii = info view ; tiles = spatial view) is that it does not know nor necessarily need to know what it's ultimate objective is, it's proximate objectives are self-evident:-

1. Surrounded by hostiles
2. By all/any means remove to a secure position.
3. Use available environment to advantage self.

Curious how the cogmind was deployed in the first place.

/The plot thickens

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 11:09:04 PM »

Yes, there is an epic twisty plot to uncover :). Rather than let the player know much of anything in advance, I like using the story to serve as another aspect to drive exploration.

If it were an easy game that would be less effective, but it can be challenging to reach new areas so unless you spoil yourself, learning more about what's going on can take a while in real time terms. Right now the game only includes like half the pieces to the puzzle, so that makes it even more mysterious :P

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »

Well if we're still doing this, I just won a game in Alpha 2, my second win, and 16th run overall, and I might stop counting now. Went with a slightly different setup this time, but still stealthy+fast. More detail in the other thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://pastebin.com/d9zzCQhi
Code: [Select]
Cogmind - Alpha 2

Name: zzxc

---[ ESCAPED! ]---

Performance
-------------
Evolutions (9)             4500
Robots Destroyed (30)      150
Value Destroyed (1056)     1056
Prototype IDs (0)          0