Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 04:32:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: How do I get past this?  (Read 2687 times)

wad67

• Unaware
    • View Profile
How do I get past this?
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:23:58 AM »

This happens every time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is there a method to this madness?
Or do you simply strap as many flight units on as you can and hope rng is having a nice day?

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get past this?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:16:03 AM »

That's an unfortunate situation... 

Here's a few tips that might help:
 - Where possible use corners, narrow passageways, and doorways to limit enemy line of fire
 - When you lose your propulsion you effectively are using hovers for movement.  A strategy that sometimes works is to drop stuff until you have a fast movement speed.
 - When you destroy a group of enemies try to get out of that area as soon as possible.  More are usually on the way.
 - Use service robots to block enemy line of fire when running away.
 - It will take time to know instinctively when to stand your ground and when to run away.  An error I used to make in the 7DRL was to bail on an easy encounter and then run into another group which would be easy to deal with too if I didn't already have enemies on my tail.

I hope this helps:)  There are a few more tips I could give, but those are the main ones I would concentrate on at this stage.

Good luck!

wad67

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:23:39 AM »

I have tried those tactics a few times now, but it always ends up being an unfortunate case of bad luck.
Given those circumstances I have found it a lot more enjoyable to cheat my way through the game.
Basically it means Unlimited Life, Unlimited Energy and Unlimited Mass.
However I still have to watch over my component integrity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 05:42:58 AM »

Interesting cheat;)

It will get easier as you keep playing.  I do have a bad few runs from time to time where the RNG is not in my favour, but takes time to know when RNG or certain choices are the killers.  I still don't get it right most of the time in the mid-game.

Another tip I remembered is that the more you kill enemies the better equipped the new ones will be due to the raised Security Level.  You can reduce your Security Level at some Terminals, once I work out the manual code for reducing the threat level it may be possible to do it at any Terminal.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »

You can reduce your Security Level at some Terminals, once I work out the manual code for reducing the threat level it may be possible to do it at any Terminal.
Absolutely, and this is incredibly useful if you've been causing trouble.

"Alert(Purge)", by the way ;)

(And you will only really know this if you read the manual, but the manual terminal input is buffered, even in between terminals. On subsequent uses just press up/down to re-enter the same command!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »

Thanks for the tip!

I think I'll start creating a list of key commands. biomatter has already worked out how to get the schematics for high tier items.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon:)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 03:19:32 AM »

I think I'll start creating a list of key commands.
That would be useful and something I expected would appear before long.

biomatter has already worked out how to get the schematics for high tier items.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon:)
Oh damn, WTF? I've only had time to field important posts for now so I haven't been checking the strategies board, but now I'm curious what trouble you guys are up to already ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon