Grid Sage Forums

• May 18, 2024, 06:01:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Is this a bug, or am I missing something on movement speed?  (Read 2631 times)

neuromodulator

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Hi everyone,

I thought it might be obnoxious to post something under a suspected bug when I'm a total n00b, but this is puzzling me. I might just be missing something. I'm running Alpha 2b, with the following:

2 x *Imp. Flight Unit (Time/move 30, mod/extra -10 (-20 max))
1 x Diametric Drive (Time/move 35, mod/extra -5 (-15 max))
1 x *Exp. Cesium-ion Thruster (Time/move 30, mod/extra -10 (-20 max))

and I'm unburdened. The way I would imagine speed is calculated, my speed should be somewhere between 10 and 20 - my thinking being 10 is the max speed with stacking on 3 of my 4 propulsion units, and 20 is the max on the fourth, and I'm not sure how the value is derived when mixing different types, but I would guess it would be in that range. Instead my speed is actually 6. I've triple-checked that nothing's on overload. Does something else come into play here, am I totally wrong about how speed is calculated, or is something weird going on?

Cheers,

-neuro

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Is this a bug, or am I missing something on movement speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:16:28 PM »

Welcome, neuro!

Stacking different types usually averages most values (and I believe takes the highest/lowest for one variable). I'll have to look at this particular case later today and get back to you.

Movement speed is a rather complicated system when it comes to flight as you start to reach really fast speeds. I'm going to be looking at the calculations again and see if it can be made more intuitive, but it's tough because once you mix different types everything's up in the air... Based purely on the numbers you show you'd imagine it wouldn't go below 10, yeah.

Without having examined the code calculations yet (need to head out the door shortly), I believe you get a small bonus for extra active flight propulsion even if it will put you over an individual limit. Or something like that ;) (made that system years ago...)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:11:48 AM »

I looked at the calculations, and here's what I found:

To simplify the system (and the player benefits from this as well, except for it being not so obvious to understand), the formula combines values for all active propulsion at each stage of the process. Therefore, you have

1) a total time/move of 30+30+35+30 = 125
2) a total of 4 propulsion units: 125 / 4 = 31.25
3) a total modifier of -10 + -5 + -10 = -25
4) a final speed of 31.25 + -25 = 6.25

It's not a perfect system and does some strange things at certain points that I still want to look into, but now you know why you're moving faster than you think you should be =p

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »

I looked at the calculations, and here's what I found:

To simplify the system (and the player benefits from this as well, except for it being not so obvious to understand), the formula combines values for all active propulsion at each stage of the process. Therefore, you have

1) a total time/move of 30+30+35+30 = 125
2) a total of 4 propulsion units: 125 / 4 = 31.25
3) a total modifier of -10 + -5 + -10 = -25
4) a final speed of 31.25 + -25 = 6.25

It's not a perfect system and does some strange things at certain points that I still want to look into, but now you know why you're moving faster than you think you should be =p

This is high magic, known only to the strongest of wizards.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »

Fortunately this one has the complete spell book, to complement his fading memory.

neuromodulator

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the detailed reply! It doesn't work the way I thought - I expected the max stacking bonus to be a hard cap, and that when mixing types it would either a) stick with the max stacking of the worst of them or b) average them out somehow.

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »

That does rather invalidate the meaning of the term 'max cap', certainly.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »

I'll probably rename that as part of the flight system adjustments. I believe it use to be a proper maximum in the 7DRL, but I rewrote the speed calculations a couple years ago on adding propulsion overloading, and didn't update the terminology to reflect that.

Edit: I'm locking this thread and merging all propulsion discussion into a single thread that includes the latest experimental build which rebalances the entire system.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:51:55 PM by Kyzrati »