Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 05:07:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Memory backup modules  (Read 3393 times)

nsg21

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Memory backup modules
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »

Do multiple memory modules clear corruption faster? The description does not say that it stacks, so I am not sure.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Memory backup modules
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:10:27 PM »

Yes, they should. They don't "stack" per se, but those and a few other types of part abilities work in parallel rather than stacking directly.

You will benefit from having more than one active at the same time.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »

Yes, they should. They don't "stack" per se, but those and a few other types of part abilities work in parallel rather than stacking directly.

You will benefit from having more than one active at the same time.
Do cloaking devices work like that?
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »

No, those don't indicate <stacks> because they truly do not stack. That would be way too powerful. Instead, you can find better and better Cloaking Devices.

Eloden

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:49:58 AM »

No, those don't indicate <stacks> because they truly do not stack. That would be way too powerful. Instead, you can find better and better Cloaking Devices.

Oh wow this explains a lot! Found a stack of 6 Cloaking devices installed/powered 4 and wondered why I was still getting hit  :o

I should read the manual again  ;D

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 06:29:03 AM »

I should read the manual again  ;D
This manual starts to sound like a holy text.

Something bad happened - "I should read the manual again" :)

I'm pretty sure there was nothing about something like this.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »

Haha, not quite holy. More like "holey." Intentionally, sort of, because it only includes the fundamentals plus anything mechanically important that is difficult to otherwise discern through normal play.

There is nothing about stacking in the manual. If the utility says its effect <stacks>, it does, otherwise most likely not. (Though as some have found with various utilities, there are a few that can operate in parallel, which will become clearer with a planned description update.) I figured it wasn't necessary to explicitly state <no stacking> if all those that do stack are marked, but maybe I should make it explicit just to avoid confusion?

@Eloden: The basic ones are okay, but not amazing. Find the experimental variety for ultimate protection, or that combined with other mods to make yourself extremely hard to hit.

Phuket

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 05:11:29 AM »

So now I'm curious because I was originally under the impression that the item would say "Stacked" if it could be stacked an anything outside of that could not. What about shielding such as propulsion, weapon, core, ect. Do those stack? That could be fairly useful if they do  :)
I play and commentate games with a heavy emphasis on 4x, Strategy, Tycoon, and Roguelikes.
http://www.youtube.com/Saboutsplays

My Cogmind Series:
https://youtu.be/eMhPC_hVxk4

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 05:36:15 AM »

Good question, one that someone asked me on Twitter and that got me thinking today whether some descriptions need to be updated.

Your assumption is correct for the most part--anything that doesn't indicate "<stacks>" does not, in fact, stack. So no stacking for shielding (using more than one of the same type doesn't do anything for you).

However, as mentioned earlier some parts might work in parallel when you have multiples, so just today I went back and added new identifiers for any utilities that work that way. They now say <parallel_ok>, and some also have a <resume_ok> indicator to let you know you can deactivate and reactivate them later and they'll continue where they left off.

Phuket

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »

They now say <parallel_ok>, and some also have a <resume_ok> indicator to let you know you can deactivate and reactivate them later and they'll continue where they left off.

Very nice touch!  ;D
I play and commentate games with a heavy emphasis on 4x, Strategy, Tycoon, and Roguelikes.
http://www.youtube.com/Saboutsplays

My Cogmind Series:
https://youtu.be/eMhPC_hVxk4