Grid Sage Forums

• May 13, 2024, 05:44:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [spoilers] Questions about where/how to use A7-related hacks  (Read 1855 times)

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile
[spoilers] Questions about where/how to use A7-related hacks
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »

Bug (or what appears to be): Met a friendly robot named A7 at depth -6 in an area called 'Extension'. I hacked a terminal that revealed an exit called 'Cetus' (first time going there), while walking through that area A7 suggested he was aware of a hack that should be spread across MAIN.C. \\M9P4 (I suspect this might be randomly generated this run only, but sharing just in case). He previously shared another hack (\\AFKJ) which was supposed to help with some Fabricators in that area.  Going to a terminal to input manual commands, the Fabricators hack shows up on a list of commands learned, but the weakness hack doesn't appear on the list. Not sure if this is a second bug, but while on the topic I've never been able to successfully input these manual hacks by typing them in directly (e.g. as I've done in this post: '\\AFKJ' or '\\M9P4').  When I go to a terminal and begin a manual command, I can start it with '\\', but when I try to put an 'M' after it, nothing shows up (same with other letters). The only way I'm able to successfully enter hacks I've learned from people is when it shows up in a list of hacks I've been told and I click on the item in the list. Bummed to have learned of what sounds like a really interesting hack from A7 (\\M9P4) but not have it appear as an eligible hack to try.

I'm still in this run and can try fixes/suggestions from these forums if there are any... that said, I proceeded a bit deeper into the archives and eventually into a hub area where I destroyed a couple network hubs bringing all kinds of pain down on me from ultra-strong enemies I've never seen before. Only way I was able to narrowly escape was digging an unorthodox path through some dirt. I've emerged onto a factory in depth 5 with what appears to be a 35% total reduction in network resistance (nice!), but saved/quit once I arrived, not sure how aggressive the alert status will be or if I'm about to get knocked out of the run. (playing on Extra Easy mode btw)  I suspect I can probably get to at least 1 more terminal on depth 5 to try some hacks if there are suggestions on how to enter it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:29:59 AM by Kyzrati »

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Related: another hack I've been told in the past is \\IAMDERELICT for recycling systems.  This one I can type fully as '\\IAMDERELICT', but it's an unrecognized command. Strange nothing seems to work for me when I try entering '\\' commands manually. I'm only able to execute them by clicking previously learned hacks if a list is provided.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Sorry none of these are bugs :P. They just won't appear in the list except at a suitable location. The hacks you are referring to are extremely specific special hacks which you'll need to pay a little closer attention to the dialogue/lore in order to know how to use! (I don't hand out spoilers, but others can help you or you may find the info online elsewhere :P--I know they'll be happy to help you out on the Discord if you want to chat, too!)

Note you'll never have to type in a 4-character code hack manually--relevant ones will always appear in the list if you have them and are at a suitable location.

When I go to a terminal and begin a manual command, I can start it with '\\', but when I try to put an 'M' after it, nothing shows up (same with other letters).
This is because as soon as you type '\\', it enters a different mode for hotkey entry of listed hacks, and you have to then press Escape to turn the mode off and continue typing if you really want to enter a hack manually. (Again though you'll never have to do this with a 4-letter code, so the only place the approach is applicable is "\\IAMDERELICT," the only non-4-character special hack. And again, with that one you have to use it in the right location. It's not for Recycling Units. None of the three codes you're referring to in this thread are used on regular machines, only very specific special locations/targets :D)

This topic is probably more appropriate for the regular boards, since you're just having a bit trouble figuring out the lore ;) (read the dialogues a little more closely--they tell you where to use them)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Thanks for the quick reply, and for not sharing spoilers! Nice to know these aren't bugs -- it'll be all the more satisfying when I finally figure out how to do them.

I read every word of the lore, especially when hacks are involved, but apparently there's more context I must have missed. Case in point: when A7 shared the fabricator hack, I was expecting to find something akin to the (blue, if I recall correctly?) fabricators found on other depths down in the Cetus area. Instead, I found what appeared to be a terminal with no options presented besides attempting manual commands. I tried the fabricator command there and it returned a message along the lines of "process initiated... terminating session." (paraphrasing)  It was surprising to see that when I expected it to say it failed since it wasn't at a traditional fabricator, but then I didn't see any fabricators in the area so it was unclear what the initiated process did, if anything.

I've been to Extension a few times before, but never knew this kind of intricacy was beneath the surface there (prior runs I was mostly focused on surviving... recent runs I'm focused on learning). I'll see if I can decode anything additional if I can find a run in a similar scenario in the future.

Don't want to pollute the bugs forum with non-bugs, but it doesn't appear I can move this post to a different section. Please don't hesitate to move it to the most relevant area of the forums if you want to keep the bugs forums for real bugs only. (understandable!)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [spoilers] Questions about where/how to use A7-related hacks
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »

Yeah it sounds like you found the right/special place to fabricate then, and "Initiating process..." means you entered the code correctly, just have to see what happens :). You'll also need to make sure the machine that terminal runs isn't broken, since that can cause it to terminate early.

And yeah I can move (and rename) the post, and I guess I should :P. Done!

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »

Ah, I guess I was really close to learning what that hack did then!

Making it a mission to pass through Cetus on every run until I learn what's going on. My current run I made it to Cetus again, but in Extension experimented with blowing up an energy cycler and A7 didn't show up this time around. Learning new things each time. ;)

Btw, current run I finally made it to Access while holding the mysterious Sigix containment pod. Last run I held it up to research before falling... if it is what I think it might be, it'd be nice to reach the finish with it. Thanks for such an amazing game!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »

A7 is always found in Extension, but by blowing up the Cycler you caused... another effect which may mean A7 is dead by the time you reach his location ;) (you'll figure out the effect eventually)

And great job on making it close with a pod (and getting one to begin with!), yeah it's probably what you think :D