Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 03:10:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #7 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: Alpha3IsComing]  (Read 5013 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Weekly Seed #7 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: Alpha3IsComing]
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »

jimmijamjams is really busy these few weeks, which means he hasn't had time to participate, no super secret achievements for now, and yesterday he couldn't get around to setting up a new seed, so I'll take care of it this week.

This will be the last 2c seed--Alpha 3 is scheduled for release next week, so we'll have some new stuff to play with soon :D

(Also, in case you didn't notice, all previous seed participants now have a new badge on the forums. There will be similar recognition coming for future events, e.g. the tournament :))

This week's seed: Alpha3IsComing

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.  Some super secret achievements will be selected with some RNG at the end of each week from my steadily growing list.  Please leave suggestions for the naming of next seed or other achievements to include to my list once you have finished your run!

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Alpha3IsComing] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:02:56 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #7 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: Alpha3IsComing]
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:10:14 PM »

Giddy about alpha 3, gonna give this run a try in the next few days.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:14:25 PM »

Alpha 3 is going to be... interesting. I found a mistake in old code that, if I fix it properly, will change everything. Still deciding what to do about it... I should write a dedicated post about it so you can all speculate about this "bug-feature's" effects.

[Wrote that post. In any case, playing this week's seed will give everyone fresh experience against which to compare the upcoming changes :P]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:44:21 PM by Kyzrati »

Arnot

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »

Had a pretty nice run, lots of running away 'naked' though.. Maybe I should pull back sooner. Looking forward to Alpha 3, especially with the new feature/bugfix :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kumo

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »

Managed to do better this time, but once things started falling apart, it felt like nothing could be done. Before that I think I got lucky with some prototype weapons, but I should have tried to sneak away rather than destroy everything.

Anyway, I'm very interested in seeing how the new robot speeds will affect gameplay!

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »

Alright, I'm gonna wreck this seed !

EDIT : I'll upload my score here.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:45:25 AM »

This is off topic, but will Alpha 3 have the first cogmind tournament, or are you saving that for a subsequent release?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 06:58:26 AM »

This is off topic, but will Alpha 3 have the first cogmind tournament, or are you saving that for a subsequent release?
Yup, as planned! I haven't set a date, but it will be as soon as Alpha 3 is released and confirmed stable (and I've had time to set everything up).

Alright, I'm gonna wreck this seed !
Famous last words before he hits the Mines :P

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »

Famous last words before he hits the Mines :P

Not this time I hope !

Gaspard

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 07:31:08 AM »

Sorry, when I post I end up rambling :p
I got a final score of 5559:

Performance
-------------
Evolutions (5)             2500
Robots Destroyed (65)      325
Value Destroyed (2714)     2714
Prototype IDs (1)          20
Alien Tech Identified (0)  0
Bonus (0)                  0
              TOTAL SCORE: 5559

Guess what kind of build I had :p
Also this:

Heaviest Build             68
  Greatest Overweight (x)  20

Here's the text file as proof(no idea how to do fancy screen-shots, sorry!)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/msvslkj4uq4k2rw/Anonymous681342192-150830-145831-5559.txt?dl=0

I really liked this run, some serious epic moments! Fabricating 4 pests, running through the mines and surviving, having 2 left at the end of the stage, one of em dies... I lower the alert level to low security, and then my last companion died and dropped his weapon.
I picked it up and unloaded it on the one that had slain him, plus all his friends, cause you know'
Then I ran out of cores, ended up wondering around and got utterly destroyed and ran off with xenon bombardment thrusters to hide my nakedness.
Then great comeback, so tanky thanks to all those armor plates in the utilities, huge firepower, and treads that couldn't even manage to carry it all!
I could take on many foes without even flinching, I really felt like a war machine.
But the came the inevitable decline: near the end I got swarmed by hackers, and this time ran out of matter! All my tankiness for naught, as with no firepower, I got picked apart and smashed into little pieces.
Fleeing naked I came upon a stack of layered light armor and equipped as much of it as possible. I didn't care about my very low speed and I managed to survive some more, by tricking my enemies to shoot at each-other(penetrating weapons DO have a drawback :p).
I eventually died uneventfully later.

Piercing weapons are seriously interesting though, with proper sensors to see through walls you can shoot through walls without being exposed, which is pretty cool. I at one point blew up reactors next to a programmer without being in the same room! Terrain scanners do have an edge too apparently.

I saw a huge field (3x6?)of reactors, did anyone else see it too?

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »

Pretty decent run.  Managed to survive an infestation in the mines and got some really fun weapons around mid-Factory.  With enough Kinetic cannons I was one shotting programmers.  The run fell apart when I was in the middle of a hallway and about 5 grunts appeared.  I was slow so I couldn't reposition and had lots of key utilities blown off in the resulting firefight.  Never really recovered from that.  On the bright side, I got to use a plasma sword for the first time.  That was fun.

A minor suggestion:  This was also my first run using a shock bomb launcher.   It was a decent enough weapon, but it was one of the few cogmind weapons (and the only launcher) that I've used this far where both the sound effect and the visual effect were rather underwhelming.  Might want to add a bit more oomph to it. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »

Nice run Gaspard!

I had to bow out of this week's seed because I needed the time to playtest Alpha 3, but in my own latest game I got smashed to pieces half-way through, and chased naked into a room where I was down to 40 core integrity, but there I found a stockpile of four awesome armors plus a few nice weapons. Since I was naked I just picked up the whole pile and made a stand, crushing my pursuers and taken their parts, too--right back to top notch condition :) (aside from the fact that I still had a nearly decimated core, so... avoid as many confrontations as possible on the way to an exit).

Good that you got some help from allies. Alpha 3 will be even better in that regard because traveling with allies won't have such a large impact on the enemy's response.

Piercing weapons are seriously interesting though, with proper sensors to see through walls you can shoot through walls without being exposed, which is pretty cool. I at one point blew up reactors next to a programmer without being in the same room! Terrain scanners do have an edge too apparently.
Every part has its advantages :D. (Okay, a very few parts are fairly useless to you, but remember that the enemy is made up of parts, too, so those parts must exist for them.)

Reactor/machine explosions are getting more powerful in Alpha 3 as well! I want them to be a little more useful than they have been, though you'll need to also be a little more careful where you stand...

Pretty decent run.  Managed to survive an infestation in the mines and got some really fun weapons around mid-Factory.  With enough Kinetic cannons I was one shotting programmers.  The run fell apart when I was in the middle of a hallway and about 5 grunts appeared.  I was slow so I couldn't reposition and had lots of key utilities blown off in the resulting firefight.  Never really recovered from that.  On the bright side, I got to use a plasma sword for the first time.  That was fun.
Plasma Swords and similar melee weapons you start finding in the Factory are really deadly :D. I try to always carry one for backup and they save me quite often.

A minor suggestion:  This was also my first run using a shock bomb launcher.   It was a decent enough weapon, but it was one of the few cogmind weapons (and the only launcher) that I've used this far where both the sound effect and the visual effect were rather underwhelming.  Might want to add a bit more oomph to it. 
I quite agree. I've always noticed that one being a bit on the less impressive side, even from when it was first created. Back then I had already made hundreds of these effects--nothing but that for weeks!--and was getting kinda tired of it, to be honest. The Shock Bomb Launcher suffered the most in that regard; thanks for bringing it up! I'll revisit this one later.

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »

... whoops. I forgot to finish last weeks seed!

I'll, uh, have to try this one before I update. Or read the thread. ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:35 PM »

Hehe, new seed for Alpha 3 will drop today, too :). Might as well get the new version and play that one!

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »

Man this seed was tough!  I ran into dudes everywhere!  I managed to stay alive until 2 ARCs unloaded on me and then it was adios muchacho.

I'm almost embarrassed, but here's the log.

I decided to give it another go and got wrecked even worse than this game.  Get this seed away from me ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »

I was going to ask how'd you manage to get two ARCs on your tail that early, but it looks like they were standard patrols, not assault Carriers, so that was normal (although when you suddenly encounter them in ARC form they can be a bit deadlier because they can all unload on you at once).

It does sound like this was a tougher seed overall. Wish I hadn't missed this one, but now I want to get onto #8 with Alpha 3 :D. I'm sure you'll have a better start with our next seed, which looks to have both armor and treads right from the start!

Shobalk

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »

I was going to ask how'd you manage to get two ARCs on your tail that early, but it looks like they were standard patrols, not assault Carriers, so that was normal (although when you suddenly encounter them in ARC form they can be a bit deadlier because they can all unload on you at once).

Does an unloading ARC use the same sound effect as a secret door opening?  For some reason I was assuming ARC.  At any rate, a lot of dudes where there previously weren't any ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »

Ha, not quite the same sound :). Secret doors are just a quicker door sound with a bit of a hydraulic release to them, while Carrier deployments do sound kinda like doors as they burst open, but are heavier and end with a beep. They only deploy in the presence of a threat, though, so you'll generally see it happen.

It's possible, though rarer that you'll meet multiple ARCs earlier on--they're just regular patrols, not assaults carrying potentially more dangerous robots.