Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 09:42:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Only launchers available from start... wasn't sure whether this was a bug...  (Read 759 times)

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Last 3 games I've started, the only item available in the starting room and scattered all over the floors are launchers (grenade launchers, mini grenade launchers, rocket & EMP launchers). Not sure if this is a bug, or the game trying to be nice to me after my last defeat. In any case, I don't want to start with only grenade launchers and tried self destructing twice, closing the game, restarting, and self destructing again. I'm still presented with only launchers.

Background on how this appears to have been triggered: I tried around 10 runs on normal difficulty and lost them all. Tried around 3-5 runs on easy and lost them all. I was on my 2nd or 3rd run on easiest and for the first time ever got to depth -1 into access then into command. It appears I might have made it all the way to what might have been a final escape room (there were a ton of extremely strong enemies I'd never seen before and what appeared to be some sort of blast door in the distance). Ended up losing that encounter and motivated to try again on a new run, but the new runs seem to be trying to shove grenade launchers down my throat. Seems like this might have been the game's way of trying to be nice, but it comes across as annoying. Almost feels like the game is trying to chide me "Easiest mode not easy enough for you? here, let's rub it in raining launchers everywhere."

At first I figured "Cute easter egg, I don't want extra help, but will grab a launcher since it's the only thing provided and try to revert to a more standard build as items are presented", but proceeding through 1-2 levels I didn't have the option to revert to a standard build. Not only were there no "standard" weapons lying on the ground, I couldn't even get any storage utilities or propulsion components. Blowing up one enemy dropped a mostly-destroyed leg, but it wasn't something to run with.

Overall:
- how can I start a new game without this hokey launcher-only setting? (already restarted 3 times...)
- player feedback: I don't think this start is as "fun" as the developer might have intended.

Tried searching online and in the forums to see if others had experienced this before and didn't see other mentions of it (searching 'cogmind all grenade launchers', 'cogmind launchers only', etc.,) but didn't see any other mentions of other players experiencing something like this. Appreciate any suggestions.

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Update: tried changing difficulty back to Normal and starting a new game, still launchers only...
Tried playing through the new game proceeding through 5 regions, still launchers only...
Tried restarting again, still launchers only...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Check the news ;)

It was announced on all the places I provide Cogmind updates, though notice that when you start a game there's also a unique white message in the log letting you know a special mode was activated. Most players have been having fun with it, but the news updates also let you know how to turn it off if you want to start a regular run on this particular day :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

fluff12321

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Oh, April 1st!  Thanks  ;D