Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 10:41:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Hit chance waiting vs dropping/detaching  (Read 1167 times)

Xll

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Hit chance waiting vs dropping/detaching
« on: February 27, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »

Hi,

I just started playing this game, but I have noticed and it looks weird to me that apparently and based on the in-game manual it is more optimal to drop an item and shoot than wait a turn and shoot.

I am talking about hit chance. The numbers are very simple, if waiting takes 100 and dropping/detaching takes 50 and the hit chance bonus is 10% if the attacker did not move in the previous action... Dropping an item (that is an action) is faster than simply waiting a turn and it gives the same hit chance bonus.

¿Is this the intended behavior or am I understanding something wrong?

Thanks

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Hit chance waiting vs dropping/detaching
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 07:37:22 PM »

Yup, technically that is correct, performing the drop action counts as well since it's not a move, but aside from causing your first volley to take extra time (time which cannot otherwise be mitigated by volley speed-increasing setups), there can also often be tactical drawbacks to doing so depending on the circumstances (including from unexpected changes to the circumstances).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Xll

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 12:15:01 AM »

But waiting vs dropping an item is even worse right? I am unaware of those drawbacks, besides the extra time before the volley. But I was thinking that having that bonus is probably well worth waiting 50.

In my tests I am aiming at a scavenger with for example 55% base hit.

If I drop an item I have 80% in the same spot, I suppose that 10% because of dropping and the other 15% I suppose that is because the scavenger did not move... (during my action?)

If all the volley goes with the base hit accuracy + modifiers and it takes (in that example) 260 I would say that is well worth it to wait 50 to grant all the volley 25% hit chance.

What drawbacks could there be?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 01:07:04 AM »

Mainly in the parts of the game where dropping an item might marginally benefit you like this, such as the early/mid-game, you don't have much to worry about anyway and it's not really worth doing, but later on having an open space on the ground below you can become pretty important for various tactical reasons, not to mention the chance that something could come along and steal whatever you're dropping, or destroy it. It's only one attack, after all, and there are other risks associated with doing it. Can discuss it with the folks on Discord if you want some more input.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon