Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 05:45:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: How Do I Do a Command Line RPG Mode?  (Read 2875 times)

burner123

• Unaware
    • View Profile
How Do I Do a Command Line RPG Mode?
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »

Hello How Do I Do a Command Line for RPG Mode? Is that something you do in the game itself, or in a file outside the game? Please walk me through it as I am not very computer literate thank you!

Also, please consider making an option to turn on RPG mode (and other modes) from the game options.

Also, I would recommend making "RPG mode" the default setting and maybe "cogmind mode" for those that enjoy suffering, thanks!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: How Do I Do a Command Line RPG Mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »

Hi there, did you see the release notes in the announcement for Beta 9.4? (it's an update for RPGLIKE) At the end there I already provided a very easy solution for anyone who wants to regularly play this mode. Try that and let me know if you have any more questions :)

For a number of architectural and design reasons there won't be an in-game selection for this.

RPGLIKE would never be the default, either, since it's not nearly as well designed as the base game, and it's only played by a small minority of the owners. It's not the intended way to play, for sure, but I'm glad it allows for some people to enjoy the game who otherwise wouldn't--it was made for you!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

burner123

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:33:17 PM »

Got it working!

"Peace Was Never an Option"

karry299

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »

>it's only played by a small minority of the owners.

Small wonder, since the majority of the owners probably has no bloody clue it exists in the first place. It's like you did everything in your power to hide it, out of deep shame.
It might surprise you, but not everyone stalk the forums and\or devlogs of every game they buy. So first, you have to read the manual and be quite attentive to find even mention of the thing. Then you have to search all the options to check that "RPGLIKE" mode doesnt exist. THEN you go google it, and google spits out a HUGE post that you must sift through for quite a few minutes to finally find that it's accessed through a console argument.

>I already provided a very easy solution for anyone who wants to regularly play this mode.
Really. Is that the case.
What any _sensible_ person would have done, is make a section of a manual describe WHAT IT EVEN IS, and provide a .bat file in the installer.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »

Whoa, slow down there, not sure what you mean by "make a section of the manual to describe what it is," since that already exists. It's big, too. And it also very clearly describes how to run the modes, with specific instructions for both non-Steam and Steam players... You don't need to read forums or blog posts or whatever--everything is right there in the manual, which can be read in the game itself.

But more importantly, these modes were added as free expansions to the game just for fun, meant as one-time events. The game architecture was not designed from the beginning to support this feature, they were only started to be added much later, and were always intended to simply be events that only people who played on a certain day or days would get to play (automatically, I might add--no configuration necessary).

There is also a tutorial message coming in Beta 10 that tells players about this sort of thing, in case they're interested in checking them out, but again, these are not meant to be a major part of the experience at all, and as described above special modes aren't even really designed well since they're hamfisted into a game that was designed over many years to have highly balanced systems (which special modes are clearly likely to unbalance :P).

I've released other games and things that include .bat files for selecting different modes, but for various reasons have chosen not to do so with Cogmind.

>it's only played by a small minority of the owners.

Small wonder,
Note that my comment was 1) based on data and 2) including play data taken from big releases where the entire point of the release was a special mode which activates automatically and you actually have to manually disable it. Most players opt to disable the mode, and many skip playing during these periods altogether, and truly only a minority of players are really interested in them, as we can see from data that doesn't require players to activate anything at all. But I like experimenting with different things, and some players are really into it, so I add them anyway. In the end they're not going to be a significantly popular part of the game or development, though. I happen to have released a bunch of them during Beta 9 due to how the development cycle shaped up regarding ambient audio and the leaderboards. (I wanted to give long-time frequent players something new to do rather than wait around for a major release.)

Anyway, it's possible that one day I will create some way to launch them from within the game, but doing so requires completely restarting the game and introduces a bunch of other architectural issues that overall make the game less stable and can be problematic, so I'm not super interested in doing that and even if it is to happen it's extremely low priority. My focus is instead on making the primary intended experience the best it can be.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 01:57:39 AM »

So since this topic comes up every time I do a release (and I had to reply to someone else about it earlier today after Beta 10 went out :P), I was making a more thorough list of pros and cons to closer integration and another big one came up regarding the concept of quality.

Making special mode content easily accessible is akin to making those modes a more "official" permanent part of the game.

And while I update and expand the main game extensively and tons of testing goes into that, I can't reasonably test and adapt the design of all prior special modes to make sure they actually work to the same level of quality, or in some cases even work at all xD.

Beta 10 even reportedly causes one of the modes to crash under the right conditions now, and while I'll be addressing that issue specifically if possible, there's bound to be other little things here and there which simply aren't up to par. There's simply too many variables to account for. These modes are thrown together quickly as short events in the first place, in general not really built to stand the test of time, though again I do try to keep them at least somewhat accessible while I can.

Assuming I push the modes to be more easily playable, then I get average/new players expecting that these things be on par with the normal game experience, when that's never going to be the case. It's simply too much work to continually maintain every one of a growing number of what are essentially different games.

Anyway, just some more thoughts while I've got it on my mind!

I do think about these sorts of things all the time and have to make decisions on way or the other where unfortunately not everyone will like the end result :P

One thing that's possible to do, and was built by MycroftCanadaNS here, is have a batch file to use as a loader for the modes and/or the regular game. Basically it does all the work for you, so some people are using that if they like to switch around a lot.