Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 06:12:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [QoL] (spoilers) Automatic heat warning deactivation option  (Read 1426 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
[QoL] (spoilers) Automatic heat warning deactivation option
« on: February 07, 2023, 10:26:56 AM »

So this is really specific (and maybe based on a misunderstanding), so probably not worth it, but i'll say it anyway.

There's this (new?) Alien Artifact called "Integrated Thermoelectric Network". Once you have >50 natural heat dissipation, ITN's effects confer effective immunity against all side effects of heat, since it seems (this is the part i'm not entirely sure about) to activate after heat production and before heat dissipation.
Because all side effects of heat (except lower evasion rate) can only trigger when at >=200 heat after the dissipation phase, there's no way to suffer those side effects anymore once you have >50 natural heat dissipation. (Number after heat production gets "capped" to 250, heat dissipation lowers it to below 200.)

Because of this, heat warnings are effectively useless (unless you care about the lower evasion rate thing) and even annoying.
After getting ITN in my latest run, i ended up moving the heat warning setting from 100 to 300.
Next run : "Why do i keep failing to notice i'm overheating?" (I forgot to move the setting back down.)

My suggestion is either a setting to reset the heat warning setting at the end of runs to a specific value, or a setting to disable heat warnings when heat side effect immunity is acquired.
Again, very specific, possibly wrong, and probably not worth it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [QoL] (spoilers) Automatic heat warning deactivation option
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 08:39:43 PM »

No you're right, technically it's currently possible to achieve immunity to the effects of overheating with that particular combo, though I don't really want to add a specific setting to prevent the warning in such a case.

You still generally want to know what kinds of conditions under which you're generating enough heat to potentially cause an issue, especially if you perhaps suddenly lose your cooling potential (or have to make the conscious decision to turn it off, for example), and you can otherwise safely ignore the warning... It's a warning about heat level, after all, not your current capacity to deal with it. You can of course get ridiculously high cooling by stacking utilities and achieve the same effect, but the warning is still important to have around.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 01:59:51 AM »

No you're right, technically it's currently possible to achieve immunity to the effects of overheating with that particular combo, though I don't really want to add a specific setting to prevent the warning in such a case.
Yeah, i didn't think that it would be worth a dedicated option.
It's very nice to know that INT is a guaranteed overheat immunity, at least once one reaches -1.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 05:40:29 PM »

Yeah I keep wondering if I should tone it down a bit, but it's not guaranteed, and enables some interesting possibilities, so haven't done so yet...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon