Grid Sage Forums

• May 12, 2024, 10:34:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 7.2] Robots not fighting eachother.  (Read 528 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[Beta 7.2] Robots not fighting eachother.
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »

In the attached save robots stopped fighting eachother. Sometimes only robots on one side stop attacking.

I loaded up this save and one robot started shooting (but not the other).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 7.2] Robots not fighting eachother.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 03:56:34 AM »

This is normal behavior. The AI won't necessarily prioritize enemies by range--there are a number of factors that filter into targeting preference, and if they are currently blocked from reaching their target they'll wait until something changes, be it the surrounding circumstances (an ally clearing the way for them, a new path opens up, etc) or a target priority shift.

Although it doesn't happen too often, this can also mean two enemies blocking each other in a hallway won't necessarily immediately fight, but once one of them eventually opens fire on the other, it'll inevitably cause a target priority change and they'll both open up (but in Cogmind most bots are weak enough that the first to fire probably wins anyway).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:17:29 AM »

Right. I had another instance of it happening, where my friendly behemoth was trading fire with an Alpha 7, and at some point my behemoth randomly stopped shooting for ~10 turns, while taking fire. I checked that his weapons were active and he was sitting in a pile of matter, so those weren't an issue. He definitely was aware of Alpha7's presence and had a clear line of fire. No other bots were present. He just sat in one place and took damage for several volleys.

I saved it and wanted to post that file, but after loading the game, the behemoth started shooting immediately :O

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »

Heh, yeah I saw you posted that and showed up in the board, but it was deleted by then :P

Assuming there was other combat going on it would've probably been a similar case (and not firing is even more likely with multi-tile bots), though there are a number of other reasons bots may not fire as well. This is not something I'll be changing.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon