Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 03:34:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #14 [Alpha 4] [Seed: Intruder Alert]  (Read 4131 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #14 [Alpha 4] [Seed: Intruder Alert]
« on: November 03, 2015, 03:05:06 AM »

New version hype!

This week's seed: Intruder Alert

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Intruder Alert] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Weekly Seed #14 [Alpha 4] [Seed: Intruder Alert]
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »

Ah, such an aptly named seed for Alpha 4 :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:48:50 AM »

Ah, such an aptly named seed for Alpha 4 :P

Is it? Should I be scared? :-\

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:16:56 AM »

Hehe, all depends on where you go...

You'll discover it's now possible to play much more strongly into the "intruder" role, if you dare.

Rabid_Bunny

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »

I really need to work on my end game  :-\

This is my first time posting - so we'll see if I get all this right. I made it to -5/Factory but got lost - I think I hit a dead-end while being chased and couldn't make my way back out without running into the army I had upset.

My scoresheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And an attempt at a few screenshots:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »

Noooooooo...

I was doing awesome, and got cocky and decided to enter Storage at -9, which is a rather dangerous depth to be there.

Even there I was taking down Sentry after Sentry, and a ton of groups, but eventually succumbed to this one:
There was another Sentry around the corner, along with a few grunts, that hadn't shown up just yet). I took them all down except for one last Swarmer :/

And my pre-release playtest runs had all gone so well :P

Shouldn't have bothered entering Storage that early and everything would've gone a lot more smoothly. I was planning on taking on a Garrison.

A good start, anyway...
Spoiler: Score (click to show/hide)
The Lgt. Cannon and Lrg. Storage early on were quite useful. And I died with 9/10ths of inventory being more weapons :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »

I really need to work on my end game  :-\

This is my first time posting - so we'll see if I get all this right. I made it to -5/Factory but got lost - I think I hit a dead-end while being chased and couldn't make my way back out without running into the army I had upset.
Welcome to the forums, Rabid_Bunny!

In the current world once you reach the Factory you're more likely to run into locked stairs first (before unlocked ones), though note that all those locked stairs will lead to other challenges in the future, not evolution, so the game is balanced for that. Either way, still feels unfortunate since you were in really good shape when you first unlocked that door :(

It will be good once you are running from danger haphazardly and can slip through some stairs to a new area if you so choose; a second chance.

By the mid-game you won't last long fighting naked, but with just a little armor and that Plasma Sword you could really put up a fight in a bottleneck.

Spoiler: More Strategies (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »

Little bit of a bonus for seed participants:

Sherlockkat

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »

I am not participating in the seed contest BUT THANK GOD YOU DROPPED THAT SPOILER. The trojan thing was driving me crazy. I kept inserting trojans into the terminals and trying out random commands like...like infect(machines) and complete nonsense along those lines. Also I am sure everyone is figured out how to get out of garrisons but..if you aren't clued in yet..

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 01:49:00 AM »

Hehe, I mentioned before that some of the trojans have already been shown in previous images if you look close enough! There's only one on that page, I believe, but both of these I mentioned here can be found in images on my blog. More coming :)

Actually, I just dropped a different one on the subreddit today...

Also I am sure everyone is figured out how to get out of garrisons but..if you aren't clued in yet..

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »

Spoiler: My Weekly Seed-Run: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:20:38 PM by Enno »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 07:28:10 PM »

Hey nice to see you here, Enno.

That plan didn't even make it out the door! Were you taking the Mines on purpose? Usually a bad idea without sufficient preparation, and even then only if you have to. Learn how to identify Mine entrances. And avoid them ;) (That said, they can sometimes be more exciting than the main complex--that's what a lot of the future branches will be like, only to a much greater extent: dangerous but unpredictable, interesting, and fun.)

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »

That plan didn't even make it out the door!
I know, please don't put your finger in my wound and spin^^  i was sure that this is not a branch-access..and boom i'm on a little party deep in the mines. however i believe that was my baddest run ever (only u know^^)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 06:38:31 AM »

Well, that was disappointing.

My thoughts on Alpha 4: the buff to thermal weapons was very nice, triple cooled plasma cannons were owning programmers.  The spectrum effect on EM weapons was also fun, esp versus swamers.  I don't have much of an opinion on garrisons yet since I just avoided them.  I'll consider popping into one next seed.

e: It looks like games where you quit don't generate a scoresheet.  You might want to consider changing that, since most other RLs generate one even if the player quits.   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:55:59 AM by Happylisk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »

Aw, that sucks... I also found the Hcp. stash right away, and took the same route as you through Storage, but didn't make it out the other end :/

You've got a pretty old laptop there. Mine's 2011, definitely about time to get a new one, but I'm disappointed in Windows 10 and would like to stay away from it as long as possible.

Next time Ctrl-Shift-Alt-s when you want to take a break? ;)

e: It looks like games where you quit don't generate a scoresheet.  You might want to consider changing that, since most other RLs generate one even if the player quits.   
Depends on how you quit. I suicide all the time to generate a premature score sheet while testing. It's generated when it shows you the end game score screen, which is never shown if you use the third quit option. That one is meant to be a way to exit the game with the intention of leaving no record of it--if you still want a score sheet you can suicide then press escape. Otherwise the third option seems kinda pointless.