Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 01:15:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #11 [Alpha 3c] [Seed: Point Blank]  (Read 2877 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #11 [Alpha 3c] [Seed: Point Blank]
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »

Blow up some stuff :P

This week's seed: Point Blank

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: Point Blank] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

zill

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #11 [Alpha 3c] [Seed: Point Blank]
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »

I found a stash of flight units early so I decided to do a stealth run (which I have never been successful at before).  I had some great gear, long range sensor array and experimental signal interpreter, advanced maneuvering thrusters.  It was all going good until I hacked the location of the exits on -5.  I had a speed of 900% so I thought I could just fly straight past all of the hostile robots, unfortunately this didn't work out, I lost everything and only just made it to the exit.  I was naked and blind on -4, didn't last long there. 

I think if I hadn't of gotten the location of the exit on -5, I would have avoided the group of robots that destroyed all my gear, I overestimated the capabilities of my build and paid the price.  A good run ended by my impatience, I got a score of 5600.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tuttu

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »

I tried my hand at this new seed and... It didn't ended very well !
I was collectedly wandering in Materials when suddenly, a horde of hostile bots came from nowhere and knocked the shit out of me ! End of the game. Nothing to see. cya.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

fernsauce

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »

Very good run for me. 4th victory (stealth of course) and in only ~5k turns. Granted, I was sort of abusing the 6 move delay, but still. If you were being *really* efficient you could probably win in 3-4k turns pretty easily.

Spoiler: scoresheet (click to show/hide)

Small notes: Powered Armor is really, really good for stealth runs. Imp. Powered Armor was giving me like 42% coverage, while only taking up 2 mass. I considered stacking them but I wasn't able to find any more of them.

I didn't really need or use the 5th propulsion slot but I wanted to see what would happen if I equipped more flight units. The answer is weird shit. Still not worth it, since you can just get utility mass capacity and you aren't getting faster and just losing a lot more energy / gaining heat.

Backup Power VII's are probably my favourite engine in the game. 4 mass for 12 power, with okay heat generation. Repair stations are pretty much the best.

I really try to take advantage of fabricators, but they always get locked or I can't find them or I don't have any particularly necessary schematics. Maybe if I tried harder to get schematics out of terminals, but usually there are more important things - finding other terminals, traps, exits, recalling any squads, figuring out which haulers need to get intercepted, etc. Even just identifying prototypes is really useful, mostly so you don't waste your time equipping useless shit. Also, having to carry around mass containers is somewhat frustrating, especially since I usually prefer to use non-kinetic weapons anyway. Finally 90% of the time you wanna build prototypes anyways, and when they come out broken that is genuinely depressing. Also, scanalyzers are usually not super useful, although I imagine in a non-stealth run they're better. But here if I'm carrying it, I probably don't really need to build it.

Also, I think both transmission jammers and ECM suites aren't that necessary for a stealth run, at least when you have 10 or less move delay and a LR scanner. Better off with hacking, storage, defensive utilities, or whatever.

In any case, pretty sure I can reliably win stealth runs nowish, even when horrible things like pic related happens. Probably time to start being more horribly violent and blowing shit up.

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

Death on -10. Not much to be done when you run into that many swarmers before you find any guns.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:41:25 PM »

Quite a nice run, fernsauce--respectable score for a speed win.

Interesting discovery with the Backup Power VII :D (no I'm not going to nerf it--it does have its drawbacks, though I can see how it's especially useful for fast builds).

I really try to take advantage of fabricators, but they always get locked or I can't find them or I don't have any particularly necessary schematics. Maybe if I tried harder to get schematics out of terminals, but usually there are more important things - finding other terminals, traps, exits, recalling any squads, figuring out which haulers need to get intercepted, etc. Even just identifying prototypes is really useful, mostly so you don't waste your time equipping useless shit.
I will probably try to increase the frequency of late-game interactive machines, eventually. I'm adding a new machine for Alpha 4, then we'll see :)

Finally 90% of the time you wanna build prototypes anyways, and when they come out broken that is genuinely depressing.
Thank you for pointing this out!!! I totally did not realize the fabrication output didn't take that into account and override it. That shouldn't be the case--this will be removed for Alpha 4. Expect good prototypes every time.

Also, scanalyzers are usually not super useful, although I imagine in a non-stealth run they're better. But here if I'm carrying it, I probably don't really need to build it.
They're one of the less useful machines in general, intended as a step towards allowing you to more easily replicate something you already have that you really like, if you want to use your terminal hacking chances on something other than schematics.

There will soon be an additional way to use them--Alpha 4 adds new hacking features for Terminals, Fabricators, Scanalyzers, and of course "the new machine" :D
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon