Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 10:36:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #5 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: FeersumEndjinn]  (Read 5517 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #5 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: FeersumEndjinn]
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:49:24 AM »

This week's seed: FeersumEndjinn

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.  Some super secret achievements will be selected with some RNG at the end of each week from my steadily growing list.  Please leave suggestions for the naming of next seed or other achievements to include to my list once you have finished your run!

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: FeersumEndjinn] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last week's seed [AScannerDarkly]

• Kyzrati: 18539
  • feeblethemighty: 6323
  • Happylisk: 5031
  • kumo: 2266
  • Kasaris: 1426
  • monsieurmac: 613

Super secret achievement winners:

"Look, Mum! No hands!"
Most improved from last week
kumo

"Brave Sir Robin ran away!"
Most tactical retreats
Kyzrati
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:16:09 AM by jimmijamjams »

kumo

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #5 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: FeersumEndjinn]
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:58 AM »

I thought I was doing better this time, but then I found myself in a mine surrounded by those things and I could only die. Any hints on how to escape from that vicious swarm of bots?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »

I thought I was doing better this time, but then I found myself in a mine surrounded by those things and I could only die. Any hints on how to escape from that vicious swarm of bots?
Because this is no doubt annoying some players and hindering seed runs, I'll offer some advice here.

Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

monsieurmarc

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:33:57 AM »

Hurah much better run this time.
Lots of EM weaponry and my first go at the drone bay :-)

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

Went more aggressive, and got super swarmed.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »

I think this was my favorite cogmind run so far, just loads of fun.  I got to try out the 4 EMP Blaster alpha death strike thanks to Storage.  It one shot most things til -6.  Storage is so crucial for a heavy fighting run.

Got into some trouble with some slayers.  Rammed em to death (tactical ramming for the win!) and rebuilt, and found a great heavy armor cache.  I was feeling super tanky (this was the most armor I've ever had) but with my low core from the ramming exploits I could only take so many more fights before core shut down.

I blew up a lot of stuff this run (even one shot an ARC!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:05:11 PM by Happylisk »

Kasaris

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:49:38 AM »

Pfeuh. I'm feeling as if I was the first time I play the game, I don't understand.

EDIT : I didn't want to get spoiled before, but now I think I don't care reading all the wiki and the forum to get tips. I'm a bit ashamed of it but hey.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:17:18 AM by Kasaris »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »

Not a bad run for me, but I only spent a couple hours on this one and kinda rushed it. I did take on the Mines just to make sure it's not unreasonable, and still did fine under some pretty terrible circumstances :)

Spoiler: Score sheet (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »

I went into the Mines specifically to confront them this time, and since they can only appear in one place per run I'm sure I was in the same situation you were. I immediately went south after taking out the Swarmers, and ran right past the Demolishers who ignored me (because I wasn't firing at them and therefore not near as big a threat as the approaching swarm of Assembled) and destroyed all of them in a few turns. Taking out two Demolishers after they're finished clearing the infestation is much easier :D

I think this was my favorite cogmind run so far, just loads of fun.  I got to try out the 4 EMP Blaster alpha death strike thanks to Storage.  It one shot most things til -6.  Storage is so crucial for a heavy fighting run.
Excellent run, Happylisk! Storage is certainly super helpful for combat runs. I decided to pass through there this time around but botched it... Good that you found the EMPs--after your last run I was thinking of trying that myself but couldn't get any :(. Instead I did end up using EM cannons and guns to take out some Behemoths pretty quickly.

Got into some trouble with some slayers.  Rammed em to death (tactical ramming for the win!)
I did some "tactical ramming" myself for the first time this run, but it was only towards the end after running out of weapons, and after so many battles I didn't quite have enough core left to survive the confrontations after that even after some rebuilding.

found a great heavy armor cache.  I was feeling super tanky (this was the most armor I've ever had)
I found that one, too! I think this run should've been more viable for heavy builds, and the balance changes in the next release should start to push good combat runs more reliably towards the end game.

I blew up a lot of stuff this run (even one shot an ARC!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
Ooh, nice! I always just use their pre-deployment period to prepare my defense, since it's so hard to one-shot them. You pretty much have to get a critical on their core, or manage to inflict 100% system corruption before they spot you.

Pfeuh. I'm feeling as if I was the first time I play the game, I don't understand.

EDIT : I didn't want to get spoiled before, but now I think I don't care reading all the wiki and the forum to get tips. I'm a bit ashamed of it but hey.
At least the wiki doesn't have that many spoilers yet. The really spoilerish content is still to come. Also, not sure when you're playing but Cogmind is not a game to play when tired--too much planning and analysis required, at least if you'd like to get really far ;)

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:14 AM »

at least if you'd like to get really far ;)

I want yes... But the clock of the forum is -7 hours from my time, I played this seed on the beginning of the afternoon and I posted right after.
I think that in fact, I need to play more, more carefully and plan a bit better.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:24:30 AM by Kasaris »

Toskin

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »

"Try it" they said. "It will be easy" they said. Yes, they were right, but in the end, I discovered enormous lack of flyswatter.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 07:49:09 PM »

Hehe, I find Pests are best taken out from the safety of a bottleneck like a corridor or doorway. (Unless you have grenades, in which case just wave goodbye and fire one out in the open :P)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 05:23:15 AM »

Yet another seed I just haven't had time to look at and I really want to see how people went!  I've got a couple more weeks of craziness and then I might be able to get a game in.  Scores and super secret achievement winners will be posted some time in the next 24 hours.