• May 04, 2024, 09:08:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #2 [Alpha 2b] [Seed: AlwaysRun]  (Read 11186 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #2 [Alpha 2b] [Seed: AlwaysRun]
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »

Nice description of your strategy--it's unsurprising that the one who won a copy of Cogmind through a competition about taking on unbeaten roguelikes is now very quickly becoming a master of its systems :D

I'm happy to learn such a cool new game :)

I wonder what the other winners have been up to. Haven't spotted them on the forums just yet.
biomatter has been taking a break because he Cogminded himself out over the first month.

One of the other winners, KY, doesn't hang out on the forums but I talk to him via Twitter.

So far the only wins managed are the speed variety, but I'm sure we'll have some combat wins before too long. Certainly after the next release where I'll be giving another boost to tank-ish Cogminds.

I was actually referring to the other three folks that got Cogmind keys along with me :)

I noticed that a lot of the score is derived from 'value destroyed', but I don't know what that refers to. Reactors and stuff like that? I'm thinking you can actually farm up quite a lot of score by flying around with a rocket launcher and just destroying stuff safely while avoiding any tricky combat and then hack down the alert level and keep doing it for a while.

I guess it started with the idea that it's "logical" for hover/flight to consume energy even while you're stationary.

I know what you mean--when I play and energy gets tight I do occasionally disable them all, but that doesn't quite apply to all situations. Technically those modes give you an advantage while active, even if you're just sitting around on defense (or during a volley/firefight), because you have a bonus to dodge while flying, and active propulsion can work in tandem with certain utilities like Maneuvering Thrusters for further benefits.

I imagined doing something like assuming no upkeep for those as long as you're out of combat, but being "out of combat" is not always so obvious since you may not be aware of a hostile about to open fire, as with Hunters tracking you through the walls, for example.
That's fair enough. I forgot about the dodge bonuses. There isn't a readily-apparent ideal solution so what we have now is a good compromise. Unless there were a way to activate/deactivate all propulsion slots with a single hotkey etc, but that would be a niche use and would complicate keybindings.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:54:05 PM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »

[This topic was being derailed by an otherwise useful but whole separate discussion about scoring factors, which has been moved to the Ideas board here.]
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

AlanWithTea

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Ocean
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »

Not as bad as it could have been...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »

Looks like you also found that early Light Cannon! That's a really good weapon for robot blasting. It certainly helped both jimmi and I through the beginning.

But I see you ended up in the mines--that can be rough when you were expecting a regular exit...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon
Pages: 1 [2]