Grid Sage Forums

• May 20, 2024, 02:34:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 10.1] Remote Shield activation animation bug.  (Read 452 times)

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
[Beta 10.1] Remote Shield activation animation bug.
« on: November 04, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »

Just had one of the worst runs, got imprinted and it was the first time I got to Cetus, and all those terminals, all this lore... I'm sure there was lore in them, but not for imprinted me... hate it... well, that's not the point.
In the caves I replaced my remote shield generator with a better one, then started to look around the map to see where to go next. Since I had my autoactivation off, I activated the remote shield generator, and saw the animation. That light blue bubble... but it was not on me. It was in the center of the screen, but I shifted the view before to look around. Then I centered on myself, reactivated it, and the animation was on me. Then went back to that place, and it was there too. I even managed to see myself and that place at the same time on the screen, reactivated the remote shield generator, and there were two animations, one around me and one in some random place about 30 tiles below me. I'm sure I made a screenshot, but can't attach it right now since I'm posting it with my phone. Maybe the next day.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 10.1] Remote Shield activation animation bug.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »

Hi S0ZDATEL, thanks for the info, interesting that I haven't seen this one before, or had it reported, even though it's a common part. Apparently just no one has done this (or didn't notice, or just didn't report it), and I tested some scenarios now and apparently you were "lucky" in this case because technically doing this causes undefined behavior which can crash the game. I'm surprised this is even possible since animations like that normally get checked for map offsets, huh...

No need to provide any more info there, as it's easily repeatable and will be fixed for the next release.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 12:13:17 AM »

I would suggest to check other similar animations for the same kind of issue. Like, maybe this animation displacement can happen to sensor arrays, transmittion jammers, and so on...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 12:24:11 AM »

Right, that's what I mean by "I'm surprised this is even possible," since all those things are normally checked for this exact thing. And in fact, remote shields were also checked before as well, so I wonder if something somehow changed indirectly/elsewhere.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon