Grid Sage Forums

• May 10, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Terrain scanner ON animation shows updated walls  (Read 358 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
Terrain scanner ON animation shows updated walls
« on: November 07, 2021, 10:08:12 AM »

I was in a garrison(i had already scanned my surroundings), shooting an ARC through walls, before re-equipping my Lrn. terrain scanner. When it turned on, some of the green(scanned) dirt between the two walls wasn't highlighted like the rest because it was no longer there (because i had destroyed it by shooting it through the wall in order to reach the ARC).

I haven't tested it elsewhere yet, but i assume it does the same for walls and allows you to see whether they are still there.

On the topic of shooting ARCs through walls, one deployed upon death and the resulting grunts moved somewhat strangely when tracking me : four spaces at once, all at once(even when turning around corners). I assume this is normal but i just wanted to check. (i had FarCom)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Terrain scanner ON animation shows updated walls
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:10:51 PM »

I was in a garrison(i had already scanned my surroundings), shooting an ARC through walls, before re-equipping my Lrn. terrain scanner. When it turned on, some of the green(scanned) dirt between the two walls wasn't highlighted like the rest because it was no longer there (because i had destroyed it by shooting it through the wall in order to reach the ARC).
Heh, this is pretty tough to encounter and notice ;)

It behaves that way because it's quite costly to remember even more data about cells outside your view, including all the necessary values to properly animate them during activation. Technically it could be modified to have a more generic animation with no potential to reveal info in edge cases like this, but strategically this isn't something that really comes into play in a serious capacity anyway.

On the topic of shooting ARCs through walls, one deployed upon death and the resulting grunts moved somewhat strangely when tracking me : four spaces at once, all at once(even when turning around corners). I assume this is normal but i just wanted to check. (i had FarCom)
Indeed depending on their route they may pass over one another when further away or out of view, sometimes causing them to move more quickly if they're in a tight group.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon