Grid Sage Forums

• May 16, 2024, 06:39:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Warlord stash won't open  (Read 982 times)

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
Warlord stash won't open
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »

I got the password from Data Miner for Warlord's stash. Somehow it won't open (unknown command). It worked there in a previous game...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Warlord stash won't open
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »

Huh, a manual code that doesn't work? That's never happened before... and yeah I just tried it to confirm (and have many times before) and it works normally.

This is a really tough one. I just spent a while attempting to recreate the same situation multiple times using both the same and alternative seeds (thanks for your save file!), and couldn't repeat the result. In your case for some reason the machine itself isn't holding the indicator that would normally allow the manual hack to trigger on it. It's simply gone, which is unprecedented both with respect to manual codes and any other similar feature.

Maybe if you still had your same run.log file (only if you haven't run the game since...) it might contain an error message that suggests a problem? Unlikely that it will provide hints in this particular case, but you never know--the indicator was either not created during mapgen (extremely unlikely considering I just tested with the same seed) or, much more likely, it was somehow removed at a later point by something else that happened before you reached the terminal, though I can't even guess what might be capable of doing that xD. Or maybe you did/typed something at the terminal before trying to enter the code?

I can't investigate this further until we see it happen again (there or elsewhere) and can start cross-referencing to guess where the cause might lie.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Decker

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:21:07 AM »

Maybe if you still had your same run.log file (only if you haven't run the game since...)

A software engineer, a hardware engineer and a department manager were on their way to a meeting in Switzerland. They were driving down a steep mountain road when suddenly the brakes on their car failed. The car careened almost out of control down the road, bouncing off the crash barriers, until it miraculously ground to a halt scraping along the mountainside.

The car's occupants, shaken but unhurt, now had a problem: they were stuck halfway down a mountain in a car with no brakes. What were they to do?

"Well," said the software engineer, "Before we do anything, I think we should push the car back up the road and see if it happens again."

--

So, erm, sorry. The first thing I did was to restart the game to see if it would fix the issue. ;D

Or maybe you did/typed something at the terminal before trying to enter the code?

No, I went straight to the manual hack. One thing I know is that I took a while to get to the stash as I was moving at speed 200 (5 propulsion slots and 5 propulsion types -- ouch), so the attacks had started.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:09:30 AM »

Oh whoa, wait a minute. Problem solved! You just gave the answer right there...

I'd forgotten about a unique setting on that map due to its special event--what happens when the attack occurs is that most objects are stripped of their special pre-event behavior, because naturally everyone's going to start acting differently once it happens. This applies to any object that can have special behavior, including machines (and accepting manual hacks counts as special behavior), so when the event occurs, only those objects which have a certain trait set will not be stripped of behavior and I forgot to set it for that terminal. (Actually, I'm pretty sure the system was added after that terminal was created, since that room was the first thing I created before starting on the map proper and the rest of its mechanics.) I guess I should've thought of that but I'm only just getting back into the game logic after some weeks away from it...

Problem confirmed and solved. Fixed for the next release :D. Thanks!

And heheh on the joke--very true. For that reason I had little hope it would still be there in your case :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon