Grid Sage Forums

• May 13, 2024, 12:15:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Is it possible to wait for a turn without centering on Cogmind?  (Read 993 times)

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Yesterday I released a dozen of drones and then making them explore the map. I wanted to know which areas they discovered as they wandered around. But I was not able to do so easily because I couldn't wait for a turn without exiting the mapshift mode. The map was huge so I had to do the following: wait a turn, enter mapshift mode, go to the one of the drones, check out new terrains or robots, center back on Cogmind, repeat. It would be so much easier if the game let me wait for a turn while in mapshift mode.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:25:25 PM by Jiyva »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Is it possible to wait for a turn without centering on Cogmind?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »

Ah, I saw the title and was like "yeah, this is easy to do I wonder what the trouble is..." Then I see you've specified mapshift mode, and that's the answer xD

The thing about that mode is that it's a completely separate control scheme that takes over the basic commands of the game, and is purely capable of exploring the map to look around, not accepting other normal input. It was added solely as a way to enable Linux players and vi-key users to look around without using the Alt key. But if you use any of the other map examination methods, including the Alt method, you retain all normal controls, including waiting, so you can watch drones as they do their thing.

As a modal input scheme by design, mapshift mode can't accept other forms of input. On thinking about this a little more now, considering the occasional importance of what you're trying to do here, perhaps changing mapshift's default behavior would be a proper solution: Basically instead of having mapshift mode automatically recenter when it ends, just leave the view where it is and require manual centering if required. This would technically be consistent with all the other shifting modes.

I could make that change for the next release, and until then you could use Alt-arrow keys if you want to follow drones and retain control for waiting.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »

Ah, I saw the title and was like "yeah, this is easy to do I wonder what the trouble is..." Then I see you've specified mapshift mode, and that's the answer xD

The thing about that mode is that it's a completely separate control scheme that takes over the basic commands of the game, and is purely capable of exploring the map to look around, not accepting other normal input. It was added solely as a way to enable Linux players and vi-key users to look around without using the Alt key. But if you use any of the other map examination methods, including the Alt method, you retain all normal controls, including waiting, so you can watch drones as they do their thing.

As a modal input scheme by design, mapshift mode can't accept other forms of input. On thinking about this a little more now, considering the occasional importance of what you're trying to do here, perhaps changing mapshift's default behavior would be a proper solution: Basically instead of having mapshift mode automatically recenter when it ends, just leave the view where it is and require manual centering if required. This would technically be consistent with all the other shifting modes.

I could make that change for the next release, and until then you could use Alt-arrow keys if you want to follow drones and retain control for waiting.

Thanks for the reply! Alt+arrow keys would solve my problem though I use vi-keys exclusively. Had I been a arrow-key user, the solution you said would have been obvious to me :P

"perhaps changing mapshift's default behavior would be a proper solution: Basically instead of having mapshift mode automatically recenter when it ends," - sounds like a good solution to me
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:20:54 PM by Jiyva »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 06:23:27 PM »

Yeah I know you're a vi user, just bringing up the Arrow key alternative as a pre-Beta 7 alternative. (Same with numpad, but for vi users that's even further away :P)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon