Grid Sage Forums

• May 12, 2024, 07:50:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Scan window advanced UI  (Read 848 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Scan window advanced UI
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:58:20 AM »

I just noticed the scan window shows robot heat and core integrity last night, and sure enough, here it is in the manual for Advanced UI:

Code: [Select]
* Scan window displays both robot integrity and current heat, rather than just integrity

I am not sure if it is anywhere explained that it is the colored box which starts out green and becomes different colors depending on the state of core and temperature. :)  I thought this was neat, calling it out for anyone else trying to melt bots.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Scan window advanced UI
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »

Yeah, right below that list summary in the manual is a dedicated section titled "Scan Window" that gives a more detailed explanation of that and all its other contents/states ;)

That feature was added along with the thermal transfer mechanic for, yes, trying to melt bots :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »

Yeah, right below that list summary in the manual is a dedicated section titled "Scan Window" that gives a more detailed explanation of that and all its other contents/states ;)

That feature was added along with the thermal transfer mechanic for, yes, trying to melt bots :P

Shame! I just don't read carefully enough. It is all there in the manual. :)

I do find it quite difficult to melt bots without first destroying them due to core damage, though. (To get the achievement, of course. :) ) It seems slightly counterintuitive that the best way might be to use weaker thermal weapons eg Hvy Lasers from grunts in the mid to late game. Destroying via corruption seems significantly easier. Did the balance change or is melting intentionally harder than corruption?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »

I do find it quite difficult to melt bots without first destroying them due to core damage, though.
Yeah this is just a side effect of the fact that thermal weapons still do plenty of damage (unlike EM/corrupting weapons, which are much less likely to kill on their own). And the thing about high heat is even before a target melts, they're already suffering serious consequences, sometimes deadly ones, so it's not always about the final meltdown!

If melting were as easy as corruption, thermal would clearly be the best weapon type, but each primary damage type is balanced differently for many different factors, so heat transfer and corruption are not completely analogous.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon