Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 05:53:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Ideas for the new Parse hack  (Read 1551 times)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Ideas for the new Parse hack
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »

As stated in the SITREP #26 post, the Parse hack will be making a comeback for the new robot hack system, but Kyzrati made the following statement:

Quote from: Kyzrati
So my question to you is whether or not there's anything in particular you might want out of this new PARSE data?

Do you have any cool idea?

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for the new Parse hack
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »

One of the biggest reasons no one really uses parse is the lack of gameplay value from it. Since parsing is about gathering information from a robot, here are some possible ideas:

1) You can obtain data of robot's parts.
When you get system corruption, you lose data of some items. The only way to get the data back is to equip the unknown items. Or you can parse a robot to get data of all its parts. For balance purpose, prototype items could be left out so that spoiler items could continue to be kept secretive.

2) Other misc. information of the robots like current/max energy, energy generation rate, current/max matter, heat level, and heat dissipation rate.

3) Parsing tells you which terminal an operator is guarding, or which repair station a mechanic is stationed at. Probably not a great feature, but if you really need to find a repair station, this might be useful.

4) Have a rare chance of obtaining secret code from a robot to do awesome stuff.

5) Have a chance of gaining schematic of that robot.

6) Combine Link effect to Parse, since Link hack isn't that useful anyway.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:43:05 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:25:39 AM »

Right, originally no real gameplay value (aside from knowing current corruption level, but that's not really worth it, nor is knowing exactly how the hacking chance is calculated since you can get that info elsewhere).

I'm keeping it because the new Parse will at least have value with functionality even better than your #1. Not just unknown parts--I plan to have it even identify prototypes and give you those IDs as well.

2) Other misc. information of the robots like current/max energy, energy generation rate, current/max matter, heat level, and heat dissipation rate.
I'm not sure how valuable this stuff really is though. I considered it but have left it out of plans so far.

3) Parsing tells you which terminal an operator is guarding, or which repair station a mechanic is stationed at. Probably not a great feature, but if you really need to find a repair station, this might be useful.
Oh interesting, I hadn't thought of robot-specific Parse results yet... That said, the info you're talking about here will already be available via other hacks :P

4) Have a rare chance of obtaining secret code from a robot to do awesome stuff.
Unfortunately that would simply be torturing players, forcing them to go around parsing everything just for this chance.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DDarkray

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

More ideas for parsing......

1) Chance to gain minor intel like a location of a random machine.

2) Increase salvage for parts (probably up to a certain limit).

I'm keeping it because the new Parse will at least have value with functionality even better than your #1. Not just unknown parts--I plan to have it even identify prototypes and give you those IDs as well.

Oooooh, that is certainly even better!

Oh interesting, I hadn't thought of robot-specific Parse results yet... That said, the info you're talking about here will already be available via other hacks :P

Ideas for robot-specific hack:

1) Recycler: Gives you intel of a single random damaged part on the map, and information of all items it's carrying.

2) Hauler: Gives you intel of a single random stockpile item on the map, and information of all items it's hauling.

3) Operator: Gain data core of that robot without the need to destroy it.

4) Mechanic: Increase chance of operating the next repair station successfully, in a similar manner as gaining operator's data core. Also drops a backup part on the floor.

5) Serf: Gain a single-tile information of a non-interactive machine.

6) Engineer: Gain a small information of random terrain (wall, door, earth, etc).

7) Carrier: Gain information of what troops it's holding, and the location of Garrison it came from.

8) Watcher: Gain information of the location of any nearby combat robots.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:57:34 PM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »

Yeah almost all of those type-specific hacking features (or similar) will be available through other means, rather than a parse. Parse is intended just for informational purposes, not controlling things or affecting their behavior, as that is what the regular hacks do. Parse will be a free feature of the datajack, and work on anything.

One thing to remember is the consequences for performing a given hack in the first place. For example learning what's inside a Carrier won't help you much, since immediately after you perform the hack it'll deploy anyway. One area this wouldn't be true is GRD, but I'm removing that. (Another exception would be if you have a very long sight range, which is a design issue I still have to address for other robot hacking reasons.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »

3) Operator: Gain data core of that robot without the need to destroy it.
I'm having trouble determining whether this would be useful or not, assuming it knows you're doing this.

lsend

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 11:38:54 PM »

One area this wouldn't be true is GRD, but I'm removing that.
Wait, are you removing GRD?!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 12:07:54 AM »

Um, yes you just quoted me saying that :P

lsend

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:16:19 AM »

Well, there was a small chance, that that did not refer to GRD.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:39 PM »

Oh heh, I'm used to using all the same regular abbreviations we use in chat, which also cuts down on the spoilers in open discussion :)

DDarkray

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »

I'm having trouble determining whether this would be useful or not, assuming it knows you're doing this.

You can do something like:
1) Grab Data Core, and then reboot it. (or vice-versa if that works)
2) Stand within operator's path to the terminal to impede its movement, and then grab its data core

The advantage is so that you don't have to fight and kill it which pose the risk of missing and destroying something else (like the terminal) and lets you do something with the operator afterward, like assimilate it. Would probably a bit of a niche, but it's an idea.