Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 07:55:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Built an army  (Read 3510 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Built an army
« on: May 26, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »

I've finally gotten the fabricators to work for me and built myself an army!

You'll need the schematic for Pest 3b and a total of 120 matter held in Matter Storage Units (it's ok if the matter is held over multiple units).  That will build four Pests who are ready to serve in 100 turns!

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Built an army
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »

Our first battle!

And then there was one...

And then there were none :(

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »

Heh, that's about as useful as I'd think Swarmers would be. If you want to fab allies, I imagine the only way to make it useful is to hack Terminals for schematics on late-game robots, like Hunters and Programmers. A swarm of Pests or even Plagues probably isn't going to help much because of their fragility.

fonetikli

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »

I managed to fabricate 3 x rogues in my last game which I thought was pretty sweet until they Leeroy Jenkins'd their way into a hallway full of soldiers and got melted.  Sure, they went down swinging, but the time + matter cost of fabrication was definitely not worth the few melee strikes they managed to land!!!  :)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »

I wonder how feasible it is to micro-manage them.  I just let them fend for themselves, but with a little dedication they could be quite powerful (especially the Rogues). I'll have to look into it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »

My personal take is that micromanagement is too difficult since combat AIs are mostly autonomous once they engage.

They're probably best used for targeted strikes against some hardened target, to defend against or ambush a known incoming assault force, or as decoys while you do something else. That said, I'm sure you guys will get creative and figure out other interesting tactics.

Allies will also be more powerful and more plentiful in the future.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 11:21:21 PM »

My personal take is that micromanagement is too difficult since combat AIs are mostly autonomous once they engage.

They're probably best used for targeted strikes against some hardened target, to defend against or ambush a known incoming assault force, or as decoys while you do something else. That said, I'm sure you guys will get creative and figure out other interesting tactics.

Allies will also be more powerful and more plentiful in the future.
Yeah, I had this problem with my Slayers earlier. They engaged an enemy, destroyed it's weapons then took off after it and I lost them. Then ended up running into the largest group of enemies I've ever seen in my life. I took some out then died immediately. Naked and alone.