Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 06:53:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Builder gets the kill  (Read 2311 times)

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Builder gets the kill
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »

So I got into a firefight on -4 with some swarmers.  No problem, I'll just gun them down because I'm totally butch. 

During the fight, a convenient corridor was blasted out.  Awesome, I'll just hop in it and take them out 1 at a time.  After all, positioning is key when fighting.

####### s
##@     s      s
####### s

Until a builder came a long and decided to fix things up mid firefight.

#######
##@ ###
#######

Un-climactic, yet humorous, way to end a run.   :'(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:24:45 PM by Shobalk »

Supernovadx

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Builder gets the kill
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »

Haha thats the greatest thing i've ever heard. I think the dev needs to put in some sort of firefight evading code for the AI of passive robots, but this is really funny. Thanks for sharing.
-SupernovaDX

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »

Ideally if there's any chance you'll be fighting in hollowed out areas, you want to have something in your inventory with which to dig/blast yourself out :) (and if you don't have something like that, stay on your toes!)

I think making passive robots avoid combat would eliminate a lot of fun stuff, and they're even beneficial in a lot of ways, too! I won't give away strategies related to their behavior here, but I've seen a number of players doing some tricky maneuvers.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »

It would be interesting if you could overload your core and cause a mini-explosion at the cost of some core integrity.  Or perhaps eject an engine for the same effect. 

Now that I've had this experience, I don't think I'll let it happen again ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »

It would be interesting if you could overload your core and cause a mini-explosion at the cost of some core integrity.  Or perhaps eject an engine for the same effect.
I do like the concept, though I'm always wary of adding any new features that can't be expanded in broadly useful ways. This is kind of what some older roguelikes (NetHack, ADoM) are like: Hey we need this new special action for this one item/situation... I guess we have to add a new input for that.

It's interesting you mention engines as a consumable source of power, though, because that does exist in the game... somewhere ;)

Now that I've had this experience, I don't think I'll let it happen again ;)
That's the lesson, one I imagine many players will learn at least once :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »

And to echo the "Haula's be takin' all my stuff" conversation in another thread, a quick one-weapon potshot/warning aimed at the builder could take care of that problem if you see the builder coming.