Grid Sage Forums

• May 08, 2024, 11:50:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Unusable Weapon Slot  (Read 927 times)

Vectis

• Unaware
  • Kyzrati Patron Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
Unusable Weapon Slot
« on: December 10, 2016, 04:30:35 PM »

My Cogmind spent one evolution point on weapons, bringing the total available slots to three. I had formerly been equipping a prototype two-slot guided EMP launcher weapon. When I clicked on the button to attach a single slot weapon (Gauss canon) from my inventory, the message "no free slot". This was also the case with dragging and using ctrl+number. I could still reassign the EMP weapon, and it would take up the new slot, but attempting to then attach the Gauss Canon resulted in the same error. Assuming this was behavior related to the EMP weapon, I continued playing briefly, and eventually lost the weapon to a failed repair hack. However, upon replacing my weapons, I could only ever equip two (single slot) at a time, regardless of their arrangement. I gave up after a couple of different equipment permutations; although I had three slots available, only two could be used at any given time. At every point, I had plenty of matter and energy.
The error persists upon reloading the game.
I couldn't find any information in the manual or online which would suggest this to be intended behavior. If it is, though, then the "no free slot" error is misleading.

I am running Cogmind on Arch Linux using Wine. Transferring the save file to a clean installation on a machine running Windows 10 did not solve the problem.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Unusable Weapon Slot
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »

Thanks for the detailed information. This is certainly not intended behavior, though it's interesting that it's never come up before in over a year of play and thousands of players and runs! To fully solve it I'd have to know (or guess) the exact series of UI steps that lead to this result, but I'll take a look at the save data first and see what's up. That the slot would appear empty, but not allow attachment, seems incredibly odd, since if there is anything present in a slot (which is the only way it could block another attachment) it should show in the UI...

I'll get back to you on this one later today!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »

Okay, I've examined the save file and made some discoveries!

You somehow have a Backup Laser I in your inventory which has its location marked as essentially "attached weapon slot," but it doesn't actually appear in your weapons list. This item seems to have entered your inventory quite a while ago.

I still need to further inspect the UI to figure out why it's not appearing there or interactable, but just to confirm, how might have you gotten that weapon, and was there anything odd about interacting with it? I noticed in your score record that you previously conducted 6 Repair Station hacks, so did it come from a voluntary Refit? (Or did a Mechanic give it to you?) And did you actually use it? It apparently has 6 integrity left, so it's already pretty damaged.

Very odd to see anything like this, so whatever caused it must be pretty convoluted. You've been hit by one of the top strange bugs of the entire Alpha with this one :P

Thanks for helping out!

Vectis

• Unaware
  • Kyzrati Patron Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »

Yes, I remember flailing about at a repair station on a prior floor. I believe it was materials three, right after coming out of storage. During storage, I'd acquired a hoard of pristine bipedal allies all at once. I was perpetually suspicious of the game's generosity, so I tried to get most of them killed off before they "betrayed" me, but a couple of them made it out of the branch, one missing a weapon. At that point, I figured I might as well keep them around, but I couldn't figure out what the unarmed one would be useful for other than decoy duty. But before I could apply him to that, I stumbled across a repair station. I'd always seen the "refit" option available there, but I never knew what it did; I'm still very new to the game. My best guess was that it was used to repair allied robots, so I hit the command a bunch of times. I ended up getting locked out (I really wanted to restore my ally), but I got some notification about this "backup laser 1: thing and a ~30 second timer. Knowing I would probably die if I stayed, I ran off, and that was the last of the matter I heard of. My allies died shortly afterwards.
    At no point do I remember possessing or interacting with the weapon. I never equipped it, and it never showed up in my inventory. I never noticed it taking damage.
    I don't know what a mechanic is or how one might have "given" it to me, but if the repair station didn't, perhaps that could have been the source.
    However, there is a point which I think may have caused the peculiarity. In storage, I stumbled across a beautiful pristine prototype guided EMP launcher weapon which I carried around with me until just recently in the save file, when I botched the repair hack (Detailed in my last post). I still had this, and only this, equipped for the floor after storage and the first floor of factory. At least, that's what I recall. Now, I don't know exactly what refit does, but if it "gives" me this item by directly equipping it to my weapon slot, then perhaps it didn't recognize that the EMP launcher took up two slots? That could cause a conflict, if the repair station saw that I had only one weapon equipped but I had two available slots, without recognizing that the weapon was two slots "wide".
    That would also explain why this hasn't come up before, since most people would consciously realize that a refit would be useless without an open slot. I didn't know what refits did (I still don't really), so I didn't make the connection that it would be a waste of a hack. Multi-slot weapons also seem quite rare, which would also cause it not to have come up (The EMP launcher was the only one I've ever seen, and that was a prototype on a branch).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »

Excellent info! Yeah Refit is an option which fills slots with a minimum number of backup parts just to get a robot up and running to basic functionality. (You can only use it on yourself, though--repairing allies requires a Mechanic.)

Not many people use the Refit feature, and those that do have probably never had a multislot weapon attached, since they're not as common, so I can see how this went unnoticed. Looks like that's exactly what happened here! I guessed it was something to do with refitting since that and mechanic repairs are the only features in the game that directly attach a part to you.

...I just checked the function responsible for this and sure enough, when it's counting how many backup parts you need it doesn't take into account the size of the parts you already have attached--it was just counting parts themselves. Solved!

Thanks again :)