• May 03, 2024, 07:58:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #4 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: AScannerDarkly]  (Read 10112 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #4 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: AScannerDarkly]
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:53:35 AM »

This week's seed: AScannerDarkly

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone.  High scores are not the only feature of the runs and the main reason for putting this together is to share our experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.  Some super secret achievements will be selected with some RNG at the end of each week from my steadily growing list.  Please leave suggestions for the naming of next seed or other achievements to include to my list once you have finished your run!

Rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts exactly seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshot below of the Scrapyard and Level -10 matches your seed
  • Play through the game once.  This is a friendly competition, we are all honest people.
  • When finished post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread do not read the comments if you are intending to participate and haven't played your run!
  • Any scoresheets submitted after seven days will not be included.
  • Good luck!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: AScannerDarkly] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

------------------------------------------------

Previous week's results [ConsiderPhlebas]:

• Kyzrati: 11043
  • sve9: 8388
  • Arnot: 6197
  • boomblip: 4079
  • Shobalk: 3507
  • ironpotato: 3434
  • feeblethemighty: 2714
  • Toskin: 1791
  • shinygerbil: 1314
  • jimmijamjams: 655
  • Happylisk: 631
  • kumo: 93

Super secret achievement winners:

"It's a Chopper, baby"
Favourite propulsion type: Wheels
kumo
Happylisk
Toskin
feeblethemighty
boomblip

"It's off to work we go"
Died in the Mines
kumo
Happylisk
shinygerbil
Toskin
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:43:24 AM by jimmijamjams »

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #4 [Alpha 2c] [Seed: AScannerDarkly]
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »

This week's goal: don't die in the mines like a scrub

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »

That's right.  Die in the mines like a man!

neuromodulator

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »

Hmmm...is the RNG not consistent cross-platform? I put the seed in, rebooted, got confirmation that it was used, but my starting area doesn't match the screenshot. I'm on a Mac - is that likely the culprit?

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »

It's possible the error is mine, I rushed this one. I won't be able to double check for several hours, but I'll have a look at it when I get home.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »

Worst run ever, not even a single evolution :( I am going to just go hang my head in shame.

Knew I shouldn't have played while I'm sick...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »

Hmmm...is the RNG not consistent cross-platform? I put the seed in, rebooted, got confirmation that it was used, but my starting area doesn't match the screenshot. I'm on a Mac - is that likely the culprit?
There will be no difference on different platforms. My guess is that as a new player you still have the tutorial area engaged (it doesn't disappear until you've played a few games), so even with this seed you'll start in what looks like a different room/floor, but if you go to the next floor it will be the same one with the corridor shot shown by jimmijamjams. Try going to the next floor to see (or better yet, just run through a few quick games, or suicide a few times to deactivate the tutorial rooms).

For the next release I'll change it so that entering a seed will automatically skip the tutorial floor and use the quick-start map instead. Technically you get a slightly worse start with the tutorial floor, anyway, so it's less fair if you use that for the beginning of a seed run.

That's right.  Die in the mines like a man!
Haha, there were an awful lot of scrubs last week :D

Worst run ever, not even a single evolution :( I am going to just go hang my head in shame.

Knew I shouldn't have played while I'm sick...
:(
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

neuromodulator

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »

Yeah, that was it, thanks. I wasn't aware of anything tutorial-like going on.

feeblethemighty

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »

My run was significantly better than last weeks run, and I think a bunch of this had to do with the fact that I was trying hard not to use wheels as much.  Realizing that knowing when to run is super useful!

Score Dump:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My death:

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 06:21:11 AM »

Well, a typhoon hit, the power went out, and I couldn't really do what I normally would on Saturday, so I ended up playing a FIVE-hour game for this seed and got my highest score ever. Didn't quite win, but I should have! (*grumble grumble* not enough launchers...)

Spoiler: Score Sheet (click to show/hide)

kumo

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 08:40:39 AM »

This time I kept out of the mine, but I also stopped rushing about like a crazy fool...

Will definitely read through your spoiler though Kyzrati!

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »

Much better than last time.

What went down:

feeblethemighty

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »

Reading through everyone's playthroughs, I just remembered something crazy that happened to me that sounds like no one else found yet.  Though I totally forgot to take a screeny at the time, so this info may be slightly wrong.  Click the spoiler below for those who have played the seed:

Gonna be better at taking screenies next week. :)

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »

Yep happened to me a few times, including this run, fun when it works out but they died pretty quick on the next floor (as all my allies seem to do).  Wish there was some way to heal up/buff allies a'la Brogue.

boomblip

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »

Well, a typhoon hit, the power went out, and I couldn't really do what I normally would on Saturday, so I ended up playing a FIVE-hour game for this seed and got my highest score ever. Didn't quite win, but I should have! (*grumble grumble* not enough launchers...)

Spoiler: Score Sheet (click to show/hide)

THAT SCORE! Way to up the ante.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »

It looks like Storage is claiming a number of Cogmind's this run. Remember to quickly equip yourself with local parts, because it's a tighter map with a high probability of facing more hostiles, but it also contains a lot of out-of-depth gear. I usually like to find this place because there's so much cool stuff in there, though I haven't run across it in any seed runs yet (mostly because I'm trying hard to avoid the unpredictable Mines).

That's a heck of a score for only two evolutions, Happylisk.

My run was significantly better than last weeks run, and I think a bunch of this had to do with the fact that I was trying hard not to use wheels as much.  Realizing that knowing when to run is super useful!

My death:
Well done! And a nice way to go out with a bang. By then you'd gotten so far that basic reactor explosions aren't as deadly to robots (there are even bigger, deadlier reactors later). I may decide to up machine explosion damage in general, since I think they should be a little more useful, and epic. Of course, that will also mean they would do more damage to you if caught in one :P

Yep happened to me a few times, including this run, fun when it works out but they died pretty quick on the next floor (as all my allies seem to do).  Wish there was some way to heal up/buff allies a'la Brogue.
There are, but it's an approach intended for hackers / "support Cogminds." I don't want to go too deep into the strategy of it here, but know that there are some parts/allies that work with this strategy:
That said, it is currently not so feasible to build and maintain an army. That will change with the addition of future branches. Keeping to the central complex is meant to be a mostly "lone wolf route" (and is simpler to both implement and play, which is why I chose to release that portion for the alpha, with a couple branches as a small taste of things to come!).

THAT SCORE! Way to up the ante.
I was quite surprised myself! I knew I was blowing away a heck of a lot of robots, but expected something more around 12-14k. If I had found some launchers towards the end I may very well have won, too. Still no one's managed it with a full combat build, but the chances go up with each release. Alpha 3 will make that possibility even greater :D

Of course, this was also the first seed run in which I've truly been blasted to hell and made multiple comebacks, so some floors got rather drawn out as I rebuilt. It's usually a bad idea to flee to a new floor without a stable build, so I like to make sure I'm in good shape before advancing.

monsieurmarc

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 05:32:31 AM »

Blown to bits very early :-)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 05:54:14 AM »

The Mines again! ;) You'll get the hang of it.

And you can set your player name in the options, and also activate score uploading to get on the high score chart. (613 is actually enough =p)

Interesting you died with a full loadout, so you probably ended up doing a bit too much fleeing and rebuilding in a short amount of time. Carrying two storage units while flying is also probably slower than you want to be!

Happylisk

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »

That's a heck of a score for only two evolutions, Happylisk.

Once I got 3 EMP blasters, I was able to mow down waves of enemies in storage.  Had I gotten out of storage for a core repair, I think this guy could have gone far.  Based on this run, I'm going to see how viable it is to indirect hack EMP blaster schematics, get 3 of them, get some coolant, and build a cogmind who's designed to alpha strike everything. 

I can't wait to find the higher tier EMP AOE weapons. 

monsieurmarc

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 06:42:33 AM »

The Mines again! ;) You'll get the hang of it.

And you can set your player name in the options, and also activate score uploading to get on the high score chart. (613 is actually enough =p)

Interesting you died with a full loadout, so you probably ended up doing a bit too much fleeing and rebuilding in a short amount of time. Carrying two storage units while flying is also probably slower than you want to be!

Thanks I have it turned on at home but forgot to on my work machine here (lunch time cogging)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »

Once I got 3 EMP blasters, I was able to mow down waves of enemies in storage.  Had I gotten out of storage for a core repair, I think this guy could have gone far.  Based on this run, I'm going to see how viable it is to indirect hack EMP blaster schematics, get 3 of them, get some coolant, and build a cogmind who's designed to alpha strike everything. 

I can't wait to find the higher tier EMP AOE weapons. 
No wonder :P

EM is really powerful if you can stack enough of it. I haven't been using it quite as much since the Alpha, but back in the 7DRL days I liked it a lot. (However on this particular run my best stretch was with a pair of Compact HERF Cannons, which are deadly EM weapons.) Getting the schematics should be doable without too much trouble since blasters are low level. And if it turns out to be too much trouble or difficult, that's something I'll be addressing later with balances/tweaks, because that's the intended purpose of schematics and fabrication--to get something specific that you'd really like to build around.

The later AOE EM weapons are of course super deadly. Though rare ;D. The mid-tier ones are common enough, like Proton Missiles, a nice one that jimmijamjams has commented on really liking before (also one of my favorite mid-game launchers, though I usually end up spending most of the mid-game still using various grenade launchers).

Thanks I have it turned on at home but forgot to on my work machine here (lunch time cogging)
Ah okay. Yeah, it's good for some break time blasting since it's pretty easy to stop and start :)

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »

Ok, I'm officially bad at this game.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:17:20 AM by Kasaris »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »

I see you found the Mines. Again.

Eventually there will be some player-written strategy guides that will help struggling players consistently reach further areas, because it's mostly a case of just knowing what to do and not to do, which some players are figuring out faster than others ;)

I'm hoping that most everyone will be capable of at least reaching the mid-game over the next few months, because that's where the new content will start coming in! Of course, if you aren't getting there (or later) yet, then there's still a ton of content you haven't seen :P

Kasaris

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:15 PM »

I have the feeling that Alpha 2 is more difficult that Alpha 1 or is it just an impression?

I reached once dlvl -3 on Alpha 1 and I got regularly to -6/-4 but here... Maybe it's because I don't play much these days but damn.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »

No Alpha 2 is definitely easier, by far, due to a much loosened threat system.

The only factor that might be considered more difficult (and this is a very tiny thing overall) is the shotgun switch to dual-projectiles--it used to be a killer OP weapon, while now it's more in line with expected behavior. Not that you definitely find and use shotguns a lot, but they were a favorite weapon (including one of mine) before the switch. Of course, with the switch I believe they are even deadlier when used against you, e.g. in the hands of Hunters.

Alpha 2 is easier than 1, and 3 will be easier still--for combat builds, at least. Still challenging, for sure, but the trend is towards making the main complex somewhat less difficult as we approach the Age of New Branches.
Pages: [1] 2