Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 11:12:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Alpha 2c] Hitting H key after exiting a terminal crashes the game  (Read 1666 times)

framweard

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

Situation: After exiting a terminal interface, I press H to move to the left and the game crashes. A fatal error message appears to pop up in-game, but the crash happens too quickly for me to read it.

Reproduction steps: Access a terminal. While the menu is fully loaded (all rendering animations complete), hit ESC to exit and simultaneously (within a few milliseconds) press the H key to move away. The game will crash. I have been able to reproduce this crash 100% of the time when following these steps. Keys other than H do not trigger the crash.

Environment: Native Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Attached is the latest save file in which I've observed the crash. There is a terminal if you go west until you see the first northern hallway, and then enter the western door.

Please let me know if any more info would be helpful. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:58:42 AM by framweard »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Alpha 2c] Hitting H key after exiting a terminal crashes the game
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »

Welcome framweard, and thanks for reporting this.

Leave it to a vi-user to find this issue ;)

It apparently happens if you press any key that corresponds to an existing terminal hack (or one that was in the menu, anyway). So for example, using an 'a' will always crash it since there's always some command there. For 2c make sure not to press any alpha keys until the window is fully closed. Fixed for the next release.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

framweard

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »

Thanks for the welcome!

vi is life. vi is love. It makes using keyboard mode even faster!

I have some notes on a few other glitches I've observed--it I can repro them consistently I'll post them too. It's cool that you managed to make vi keys work so well on set a dense control surface!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »

It certainly must be the fastest way to use keyboard mode! I almost feel that I should take the time to learn them now... I'm a long-time numpad user myself, even on my laptop.

The only way it worked was by starting out by saying okay, these are for vi and I can't use them for anything else :D. It only lead to a couple oddities, like 'i' would've been nice to use for access to the part "integrity" view, but in the end I like how all those visualizations ended up clustered over on the left side.

This same problem you've discovered might be present in a couple other similar windows. I've got a note here to check them all when I have a chance--some might not be blocking keyboard input while they're closing. I'll examine any that use the same design pattern.

framweard

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »

Actually the problems I was observing were issues with using ALT + <alpha> to drop equipment. I think ALT + H wasn't working for me in keyboard mode for some reason.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

Are you using Linux? If you are then certain configurations of Wine may be intercepting some Alt hotkeys so they never actually make it to the game.

framweard

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »

I'm running Window 7 natively.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »

Oh right, I totally forgot you said that in the OP xD

Sorry, this week I'm only getting to the forums when I'm really tired o_o... I recalled too quickly that someone on Linux had pointed out the Alt key issue under some configurations ;)

Another more likely cause on Windows itself, is that the OS sometimes fails to notify the program of the proper Alt key state if you're switching between programs via Alt-Tab. It's a known problem with SDL, and something I've tried to work around but nothing seems to solve it 100%. In rare cases the Alt key can't be used in key combinations until you press and release the Alt key by itself to reset it. This happens in other SDL games, too, and I haven't found evidence of anyone completely fixing this problem.

If you're never Alt-Tabbing, then it could be something else, but in general Alt is not a foolproof key to use in a game since it's often used for system features. Fortunately less so in Windows than, say, Linux.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:42:50 AM »

Thanks for the welcome!

vi is life. vi is love. It makes using keyboard mode even faster!

I have some notes on a few other glitches I've observed--it I can repro them consistently I'll post them too. It's cool that you managed to make vi keys work so well on set a dense control surface!

Can't stand vi, vim for lyfe.

Seriously though I don't know if I'm just really bad with vi, or if it's buggy on freeBSD. I've never used it thoroughly in any other *nix environments.