Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 04:34:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Slammed into excevator while stepping into doorway, disabling assault rifle.  (Read 3085 times)

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

Not much of an event but I thought it was a little cool as an emergent event, actually. Presumably its move turn came before mine?

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

That shouldn't really be possible. Technically speaking, if it is your turn, you will move next bar nothing. However, if you were using mouse input and moving a few squares, it's entirely possible that it moved into the doorway a turn before you moved there. That is simply an inherent flaw in using mouse input over large distances.

My "favorite" collision was running into a Tunneler and having both a reactor AND my power amp disabled. Soooooooooooo maaaaaaaaaad

Sylverone

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Wow. Yeah, mouse input. But if you can avoid the collisions via keyboard control why can't the mouse movement do so? It does stop rather than collide with things most of the time.

Edit: and I had it happen again out in the open, if I saw correctly.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile

I think Kyzrati has said this'll be something he looks at, but I can't remember what exactly the resolution was. The issue is that with keyboard, you are issuing commands one at a time, but with a mouse you are simply saying 'go hear and damn anything that gets in the way'. You could always click one square at a time... >_>

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile

That's one of the big reasons I only use flight units. I'm a mouse user and collisions are bull.

It sounds like its being fixed though so that shouldn't be an issue for long.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

ironpotato

• Derelict
    • View Profile

That's one of the big reasons I only use flight units. I'm a mouse user and collisions are bull.

It sounds like its being fixed though so that shouldn't be an issue for long.
I'm really bad at using flight units, then losing them and switching to something else and I forget that I now slam into other bots instead of jumping over them. Sometimes I'll do it twice in a row like 10 seconds apart from each other and I swear at myself.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

What some players aren't realizing yet (because it wasn't entirely obvious in Alpha 1) is that with mouse controls once hostiles are in sight you move only one space at a time towards the cursor direction. It doesn't path around robots for a couple reasons:
  • In a combat scenario you don't want the pathfinding algorithm to be picking your next move direction for you, since every move counts.
  • You may want to melee attack, or ram, and this is a way to enable that possibility via mouse while in combat.
In Alpha 1b, while in combat the map now highlights which space you'd move to based on your cursor position, and even colors it red instead of green if that will cause you to ram something. I believe this helps a lot.

The system will continue to improve. The next update is to add an option that will require you to double click to confirm you actually want to ram an adjacent robot, in order to catch all cases including non-combat movement.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile

The system will continue to improve. The next update is to add an option that will require you to double click to confirm you actually want to ram an adjacent robot, in order to catch all cases including non-combat movement.
I don't think I've ever accidentally rammed something while a combat unit was in view, so I wasn't aware it was an issue then.

It's always those ****ing rs and as when I'm roaming. I'll definitely be using that double click to ram option.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Supernovadx

• Derelict
    • View Profile

Haha so many times I'll be running away and just "BAM" everything is disabled.
The only question after that is.
Suicide? or Run?
-SupernovaDX

Sylverone

• Derelict
    • View Profile

I don't think I've ever accidentally rammed something while a combat unit was in view, so I wasn't aware it was an issue then.

It's always those ****ing rs and as when I'm roaming. I'll definitely be using that double click to ram option.

Me too, it happened when no enemies were around. I did notice the change in movement when enemies were present and thought it was a smart choice for tactical combat and a nice touch.