Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 04:12:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11.2, Polymind] Assimilated allies' POV only updates on move  (Read 1349 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

I was trying to hide some allies i had gotten through my programmer host, and i noticed that the tiles i could see through my allies/host didn't make sense (see screenshot).

It's a good thing caves don't have any kind of time limit, since i was able to experiment and figure out how it works :
The point of view of those allies only updates when they move, but if you swap position with them, it doesn't update. If you then order them to stay in their new position, they won't move back to their previous position, and therefore won't update their point of view.

Notes :
-I'd guess this can also happen in regular Cogmind?
-I haven't tried to move an ally outside their own FOV, but i'm going to.
-I'm wondering if this affects what my allies actually see?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11.2, Polymind] Assimilated allies' POV only updates on move
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 06:25:15 AM »

Okay so that we're on the same page, by POV I'm pretty sure you mean FOV, and on realizing that I was still stumped because yeah those allies shouldn't be updating FOV when they swap, because in fact they shouldn't be sharing FOV with you at all, so that comment made no sense to me at first xD

So yeah there's definitely a bug here, not but it's not the one you're reporting :P

On testing it I noticed that they are indeed FOV sharing, and that's because Polymind was developed very very quickly and there was a lot of copy pasting involved from other sections of code to make it happen in time, and it turns out during this process a Programmer host was incorrectly assigning their new faction type... That'll be fixed (removed) in some future version, but not for the event, so enjoy the extra intel for your Programmer :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 10:18:49 AM »

Amazing. I wonder how many people think that's supposed to happen? (And also how many bugs you've found out about by seeing people mention them like they were supposed to happen.)

About the POV/FOV thing, when i wrote the report, i was considering POV to be "point in space one sees from" and FOV to be "everything one can see", and it made more sense to me to say that the POV wasn't updating, since FOV could still update if some wall was broken.

Side note : I tried moving an ally outside their own FOV, and i could still order them even when they weren't visible. Other rewired allies still had to be within the "non-updated" FOV to be orderable.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 05:24:42 PM »

Amazing. I wonder how many people think that's supposed to happen?
Well in the normal game it's not something that really comes into play, because assimilation won't cause that, so it's Polymind specific and probably everyone thinks so because that's what happens with special events--lots of crazy stuff can happen and not everything will be fully explained (unless it's one of the really simple modes) so the difference between what is intended and not won't always be so clear. Polymind is sort of a special case because it was a huge mod, but also the least playtested by far, compared to how much it added and changed.

(And also how many bugs you've found out about by seeing people mention them like they were supposed to happen.)
Less common than the normal way, for sure, but that definitely happens from time to time!

About the POV/FOV thing, when i wrote the report, i was considering POV to be "point in space one sees from" and FOV to be "everything one can see", and it made more sense to me to say that the POV wasn't updating, since FOV could still update if some wall was broken.
Gotcha. In roguelikedev FOV is inseparable from POV, so the former is used (in the example given, a broken wall would still update "POV" first, then calculate the new FOV from there).

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 07:15:41 AM »

That'll be fixed (removed) in some future version, but not for the event, so enjoy the extra intel for your Programmer :)
Um. You appear to have fixed this bug during the event?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 07:29:29 AM »

Yup, I didn't plan on it being released purely because there were no more updates planned, but I had already fixed it earlier today as soon as your thread popped up, then like an hour later someone discovered a critical issue in the latest 11.2 build so I had to put out a new one that happened to already include a few changes like this.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:47:53 AM »

Yup, I didn't plan on it being released purely because there were no more updates planned, but I had already fixed it earlier today as soon as your thread popped up, then like an hour later someone discovered a critical issue in the latest 11.2 build so I had to put out a new one that happened to already include a few changes like this.
I was wondering if you had done so accidentally or not, since this topic was still in the "confirmed bugs" section and not the "fixed bugs and non-bugs" one.

After testing, i can confirm that the bug i originally reported occurs in regular Cogmind as well; Swapping places with drones doesn't update their FOV.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:47:00 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »

I was wondering if you had done so accidentally or not, since this topic was still in the "confirmed bugs" section and not the "fixed bugs and non-bugs" one.
Yeah, see below ;)

After testing, i can confirm that the bug i originally reported occurs in regular Cogmind as well; Swapping places with drones doesn't update their FOV.
Yup, it just hasn't been addressed yet.

I didn't recall it at the time but when I examined the underlying cause of what happened here I saw in the notes that years ago I had wanted to skip the necessary updates specifically for swapping with drones, just to save processing time, until one day maybe someone discovered this possibility and I'd have to code in extra FOV updates (which are expensive).

So yeah it's technically possible in the regular game for anything in the drone-specific faction, which is what certain Polymind hosts had accidentally been added to, making it much easier to find out about this behavior... As is it sure took quite a few years for anyone to bring this one up!

I didn't mention it here because I generally keep to myself any cheesable things that haven't been addressed until someone makes the discovery public and I'm forced to fix it :P