Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 05:13:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11.2] Game crashes when trying to open news section  (Read 985 times)

lord

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
[Beta 11.2] Game crashes when trying to open news section
« on: December 27, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »

Hey! :)
I migrated my /user from an older Cogmind version and after that when I try to open the News section the game crashes immediately.
Without old files all works fine.
Is there any chance to fix this migration or is it time to start my new journey? :)

Win 10 x64
Cogmind Beta 11.2
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 03:43:33 PM by lord »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11.2] Game crashes when trying to open news section
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:47:15 PM »

Hey there lord, sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification for this post :/

Will get on this ASAP this morning and get back to you!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

lord

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 04:58:37 PM »

Hey there lord, sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification for this post :/

Will get on this ASAP this morning and get back to you!

Oh, no worries, it's doesn't require any haste at all. I would even prefer you to spend these time with your family instead of me taking away your holidays with such trifles. Work and code can wait :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 05:03:15 PM »

Heh, well it's just a normal Friday work day here, son's at school already and I am ready to do whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing here in front of my computer all day :P

Thanks for providing the extra attached files/details, btw, will certainly be helpful.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »

Okay so I loaded up your data no problem, so that's not an issue, then examined what the crash log was showing and apparently for some reason it manages to crash the game if you open the news due to your game having received a bogus version number from the website somehow? The web side is fine so all I can imagine here is that somehow the info got mangled in transit or was incomplete or something like that.

Thus it's not a data migration issue or anything like that, it's purely a web connection thing.

The good news is I think this should just work if you try again? (On that note, how many times did you try? I would hope it was only once xD)

(Also there's a newer version than the one you had installed at the time, although that shouldn't impact anything.)

So try again and let me know if it persists. I guess I'll need to add some new checks on the game side to see that the incoming version number is correctly formatted, though I can't actually see what yours is/was showing so I'm especially curious... (Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to repeat your case since it's connection-specific.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »

Oh actually from exploring the log further I have made some new discoveries...

Apparently the version number it was trying to check was completely *empty*, so at least I guess I can stop it from crashing in the future in that case xD

Then I also noticed that the news connection actually failed, in which case I need to look into why it was even checking the version number if the connection failed to begin with...

So yeah, to reiterate, this was a connection issue and if you try again it'll probably work, assuming the connection goes through, and even if it doesn't, just don't open the news page for now which doesn't really contain anything important anyway.

lord

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 07:57:39 PM »

I have retested and indeed everything works as intended (I didn't make any changes, but ran everything as it was before).
Additionally, I moved everything to the latest version (221229a), and everything works without any failures too.
Now I feel like the same user who complains about something, and when the senior came to look, everything works as it should.
In my defense, I tested on two different computers, checked firewall logs and sniffed traffic for any anomalies before any reporting :'(
Perhaps I was really lucky to get into some kind of strange coincidence.
Thank you very much for your time spent on checking this case. And at the end of the day, no matter that no changes were made, but the gentle gaze of the creator corrected all the flaws in the "news" section :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 07:59:20 PM by lord »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »

Hey lord no problem, after fixing a new Polymind issue reported by bugsniper (which will require a hotfix today xD), I actually just got back to explore this one in even more detail to look for a resolution and realized that if you couldn't get it running I could manually insert a valid build number in your records which would be another way to get around this weird instance. Still no idea how it happened in the first place--makes no sense but yeah not all bugs do until you know...

Anyway was just about to send you an updated file now and you've already got it working :P