Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 07:58:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11.1] Rewired cave Sentry has stay order  (Read 584 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
[Beta 11.1] Rewired cave Sentry has stay order
« on: May 12, 2022, 02:27:08 AM »

When going through the caves, i attacked an outpost on flight using a Mni. Smartbomb Launcher and some Fire Traps. After Dealing with the faster robots and shooting the Sentry a few times, the Sentry walked over one (or maybe two but i don't think so?) Fire Traps that i think i may have placed there, and was disabled. I went and used an Imp. Datajack(+Mak. Macking Suite) to rewire it, and succeeded. However, it had a "stay" order instead of the regular "follow", and began moving towards the outpost (maybe to the spot it was originally on? I don't know, i stopped it before it got far).

I don't know if it's relevant, but on the Factory map of the same floor, i rewired another Sentry(using about the same equipment) that was already disabled. Afterwards i gave it a "stay" order, and it was eventually destroyed before i left the map to the caves.

I happened to make a copy of the save file (see attached) from before attacking the outpost (i wanted to test later if terrain scanners were related to low fps drops), but i haven't yet tried reproducing the bug to see if it would happen again.
If there was only one, the Fire Trap was probably located right above where Cogmind is in the attached screenshot. If there were two, the second one was probably right below the first, where Cogmind is.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11.1] Rewired cave Sentry has stay order
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 03:42:52 AM »

This one isn't a bug, sometimes allies can indeed start out with a STAY order after rewiring for various reasons, one example being if they have been rendered immobile (for example overheated propulsion).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:24:34 AM »

This one isn't a bug, sometimes allies can indeed start out with a STAY order after rewiring for various reasons, one example being if they have been rendered immobile (for example overheated propulsion).
Because of the way you worded that, it feels like they should actually stay in place, and not go back to their previous 0b10 guard location that, to my understanding, should've been overwritten?
While i now understand that they can get the "stay" order naturally, i don't understand the logic behind them getting the "stay" order but going somewhere else.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 04:53:26 PM »

Well their AI is actually reset, and if they have a stay order, it will apply to whatever movement goal they happen to acquire for whatever other reason at the time, so this might cause them to move to some other location.

I imagine the nuances of the behavior here would be tweakable to improve it in some cases, but the cases are too specific to worry about. Not gonna spend hours trying to figure out the perfect alignment of AI behavior in situations like this, especially since doing so is likely to cause issues elsewhere, and it's also hard to know the exact circumstances which can lead to various results, and whether or not they're desirable.

It's actually true that this did not used to ever occur, but changes to rewired AI (years ago) to increase flexibility and accommodate new bot types clearly allows this to happen sometimes.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon