• May 03, 2024, 12:34:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Alpha Challenge 2015 (September 8-22)  (Read 107861 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Challenge 2015 (September 8-22)
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »

Congratulations to the winners!!

There's some tough competition out there and it's been great to go through the forums and see some really amazing and thoughtful discussion.  Awesome stuff, guys/gals!

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2015, 10:01:56 PM »

Thanks for the well-run tournament, K! It was a lot of fun and I learnt a bunch too.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2015, 10:12:52 PM »

I think we all learned a lot!

Now to go back and fix the badge display so they show in rows instead of a single column. Some people have quite a few now :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »

I do believe that all four of my runs for the entire competition were some of the worst ones I ever achieved. One of them barely got to its first evolution. ;D

Congrats to the folks at the other end of the spectrum!

may2ever

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) 3rd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »

very interested events to me, thanks Kyzrati
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:05:45 AM by may2ever »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »

may2ever speaks!

Glad you enjoyed it as you silently worked your way up the leaderboards ;)

may2ever

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) 3rd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2015, 11:10:46 PM »

i'm not good at speak english so i just read posts

zxc, Happylisk posts are very useful information to me :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:06:01 AM by may2ever »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »

Yep, thanks for dropping by to say hi!

Update: I've sent out all prize notices via email, except for three who aren't on the forums so I have no email address attached to the participant name: RoboCicero, Goodnews, and SEF. If any of you three happen to browse by here, be sure to contact me, though I do know where else to find RoboCicero if needed.

Oarsman

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2015, 01:58:29 AM »

Chiming in to say that the tournament was a great idea & really fun - managed to get to Research for the first time, so hopefully escaping isn't too far away now!

I did notice that the "Deathwish" achievement went unclaimed - did no-one manage to kill an assembled? They certainly killed me more than once, but perhaps all the people who are skilled enough to take them on are also savvy enough to avoid the Mines completely!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2015, 02:20:51 AM »

Hey Oarsman! Thanks for stopping by, and good job :)

By now most players are avoiding the Mines, and are experienced enough to do so fairly reliably.

That said, I should've taken a closer look at that achievement and what was up with it because I made a discovery yesterday based on some oddities I noticed in a few score sheets--because Assembled are internally listed after another couple robots that aren't currently known by the score system, Assembled kills were getting tallied under a different type of robot none of you have seen before. That had me stumped--HOW are a few players managing to kill robots I haven't added to the game yet?!

And the second piece of the puzzle falls in to place... mystery solved. I'll update the data in a moment--someone's going to get another achievement :D

Psyha killed 14 Assembled before succumbing to them, and Tuxedo Knight took down 13 then made it all the way to -6 8)

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Challenge 2015 (September 8-22, IN PROGRESS!)
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2015, 04:54:35 AM »

You know you could just get yourself killed and that will still count as a game considering you've already made it so far! Still 1 hour remaining :D

Well actually I remember I just killed myself Alt + F10 in -11 after I finished recording my video. So I guess it is the only Gobbopathe's game you have in your database for this competition  ;D
Maybe that kind of performance is one of the hidden achievements  8)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2015, 06:24:51 AM »

Nooooooooo... you're right, I see you have that 35 point run in among the files, which doesn't qualify. Should have finished that game earlier just for the heck of it. Oh well, maybe you can dominate the regular leaderboards for a bit?

Altogether there were about 250 non-qualifying games out of a total 900 runs. So you are in good company with many others who at least one time or another didn't do much but hang out in and around the scrapyard :P

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2015, 06:40:10 AM »

Thanks for the tournament K!  it was a lot of fun.  Despite taking a break from playing Cogmind til Alpha 4, I've started work on my strategy guide for combat runs.  Hopefully once the full game drops they'll be a nice and comprehensive guide for newbies.

Any idea when 4 will drop?  I'm assuming that'll give us Caves. 

ventricule

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »

Hi there. Thanks for the tournament (and the game!). I am looking forward to seeing it get better and better.

Is there some hidden rule that one needs to have an account on the forum to be featured on the prize list? Since the prizes are forum badges, that would make sense -- but having a name on the list is a prize in itself.

Anyway, I just created a forum account, so I can haz prize?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2015, 07:44:09 AM »

Thanks for the tournament K!  it was a lot of fun.  Despite taking a break from playing Cogmind til Alpha 4, I've started work on my strategy guide for combat runs.  Hopefully once the full game drops they'll be a nice and comprehensive guide for newbies.

Any idea when 4 will drop?  I'm assuming that'll give us Caves. 
A while back I was originally thinking Caves, but I think first we should have Extension, and the places that leads, because it's smaller and I can combine it with a bunch of other stuff discussed during the tournament. The Caves are going to be a pretty big production and need their own release, which wouldn't give me any time for this other stuff, so they should be Alpha 5 (and even then I'm not sure I can fit everything the caves will bring into a single release--there's a lot out there).

No date for 4 except "some time in October." It woulda been sooner if not for having to manage the tournament and everything surrounding it.

Having some more guides will be extremely useful for all the eventual green Cogminds we'll have. Not that it'll be soon, but technically there's a still-continuing steady trickle of fresh blood, and even right now a majority of players have trouble even making it half-way through the Factory.

Thanks for that, and thanks for playing :D

Hi there. Thanks for the tournament (and the game!). I am looking forward to seeing it get better and better.
And get better and better it will!

Is there some hidden rule that one needs to have an account on the forum to be featured on the prize list? Since the prizes are forum badges, that would make sense -- but having a name on the list is a prize in itself.
Whoops, you know what, there are no hidden rules, but apparently I didn't test the "final page generator" well enough before the end (just made it yesterday!), because  it apparently left off a couple players! And just now I was wondering why I hadn't given you a badge, since I know you took an achievement... oops, I'll get on this right away (a few other achievements were dropped off the final list for some reason, too!). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Edit: Everyone applicable should now be on the achievement list. Was missing three players :/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:02:31 AM by Kyzrati »

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2015, 08:22:51 AM »

Ooh, not sure I've ever seen Extension (I tend not to pay attention to where locked branches go).  I found the locked branch in Storage for the first time during my very last run.  I imagine extension is somewhere in Factory.  Looking forward!

edit with big spoilers: 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:24:41 AM by Happylisk »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »

Extension is off Factory, yeah, and you're less likely to see the entrance than Caves. And now that you mention it, I forgot that I'd also like to add that Storage branch, too (haven't been thinking about this as much over the past week).

Chad

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Challenge 2015 (September 8-22, IN PROGRESS!)
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2015, 01:17:22 PM »

(...)

Chad: I noticed you playing a heck of a lot and taking a number of achievements. The last Factory floor is where the difficulty (once again) really ramps up, so that's a tough barrier. The top 10 ended up being pretty competitive with a lot of players reaching that same general area!
(..)

Haha, yeah. I was very motivated to get back to the top10. And it's just another run ... or maybe two ... or... :D
I got some very bad runs, but my avarage score isn't that bad as it seems. And I got some very cool archivements  8)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »

I saw you got both Unstoppable and Generalissimo, pretty tough. For the latter I take it you visited Waste a couple times? Was that intentional, or did it "just happen"? :P

Shobalk

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »

I would also like to chime in and say that the tournament was awesome!  I had a blast.

Still haven't found my dang item yet though!  ;D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »

Wish I could do these more often but it's too much work considering we still need a complete game :/

Very good job, Shobalk--so close to #3!

No comment on the item :P

Chad

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »

I saw you got both Unstoppable and Generalissimo, pretty tough. For the latter I take it you visited Waste a couple times? Was that intentional, or did it "just happen"? :P

I few times I went to waste until I realized, that I get back to the level before, not one level above (silly me :D). Also, for a stealth run allies are not a very good idea (except drones).
But when I'm in a very bad situation (like lost all my parts and followed by a party of bad guys) I like to jump down to save my ass. With 200% speed and a bit of luck you can avoid the crushers and may get some new equipment and sometimes some new friends!

For the generalissimo achievement I don't know how I got it. Is it possible to get 41 allies in waste? I did I manage to get some friends at waste and find some drone bays? Don't know if the game counts all allies I had in the game or if he counts the maximum allies at the same time. I think it's the first case and I found some drone bays and later went to waste (for whatever reason).

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »

Is the Waste where the chute traps lead? Because I entered that once or twice intentionally, as I found that if you are fast you can avoid the crushers quite easily and there's some cool stuff down there.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2015, 01:25:16 AM »

For the generalissimo achievement I don't know how I got it. Is it possible to get 41 allies in waste? I did I manage to get some friends at waste and find some drone bays? Don't know if the game counts all allies I had in the game or if he counts the maximum allies at the same time. I think it's the first case and I found some drone bays and later went to waste (for whatever reason).
Ah yeah, Drone Bays would've helped there.
About that achievement, it was meant to be largest number of simultaneous allies, but while coding it I realized there is a problem in how the 3c release calculates that value for the score sheet, and I couldn't fix it without a new release so I had to switch the value to total allies across an entire run. I've corrected that and another few erroneous stat values for the next build.

Is the Waste where the chute traps lead? Because I entered that once or twice intentionally, as I found that if you are fast you can avoid the crushers quite easily and there's some cool stuff down there.

zxc

• Cogmind
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2015, 01:28:15 AM »

What I'd love to know (not sure if it would be spoilery) is if entering side-branches like the Waste reduces alert level. I get the impression that it does, based on what you've said before, K.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9