Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 05:09:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Display bug: cogmind disappears  (Read 1072 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Display bug: cogmind disappears
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »

How to reproduce:  If you're directly above a staircase and hover over it with the cursor so the green box appears, your cogmind disappears until the box is gone.  This is true for almost any square adjacent to a staircase, expect to the center left of it. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Display bug: cogmind disappears
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »

Oh interesting, the exit label animation wasn't quite meant to be used to auto-label on hover, a feature that was added that more recently. I'll have that fixed for the next release--thanks for the report!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Display bug: cogmind disappears
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 01:06:23 AM »

Working through all the known bugs in preparation for Alpha 4, and just got back to this one, which is apparently not a bug.

I thought you were referring to standing on the stairs themselves (which could've been a transparency issue), but on closer inspection I realize you mean adjacent. This only happens when standing directly above and below, and is natural behavior for the engine because it's an emulated terminal that can only show one glyph in a cell at a time.

You can see half of yourself when positioned to the left and right of an exit, but that's because each cell is actually composed of two smaller cells--the left and right halves--so it's still possible to draw one half or the other. Map cells cannot be divided vertically, so your top/bottom half will essentially disappear because that entire area belongs to the horizontal label lines themselves.

It's a side effect of the fact that I draw the map at regular "full square cell size" while most text is drawn in "half-width cells." For reference, I discuss the technique in this blog post.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon