Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 02:22:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: When pressing "f", have cursor default to last robot targeted  (Read 1586 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
When pressing "f", have cursor default to last robot targeted
« on: August 01, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »

Let's say you want to blow up the recycler in the starting zone to get a storage unit.  You press f and fire.  Mr. Recycler doesn't die, but instead moves away. You press "f" again.  Your cursor will be placed on where he was, not where he is now, forcing you to move the cursor before firing again.  The default should be last targeted robot, not last targeted square. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: When pressing "f", have cursor default to last robot targeted
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »

What you describe here is already default behavior--'f' will always target the robot and not a square.

However, auto-targeting only happens in keyboard mode, so I'm assuming you're using the mouse? Mouse mode doesn't auto-target because it would complicate the behavior somewhat (different targeting behavior depending on direct clicking vs. pressing 'f'), and if the auto-target robot happens to be in an unexpected place because you weren't firing for a while, it can force you to pick up your mouse and move it to compensate for the distance.

Currently in mouse mode when you press 'f' it shouldn't even move the cursor at all (I don't see it doing that), just activate firing mode wherever the cursor is currently (which if you just fired at a robot, will be the last position at which you did so, hence what you're seeing).

That said, I believe the UI should probably be changed to distinguish an 'f' used to activate the firing mode, even while using the mouse, and allow it to target based on the preference set in the options (only when the "Auto Cursor" option is active).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 09:02:35 PM »

Yeah I'm using the mouse which explains this.  I'll give a keyboard run a try and see how it feels. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »

Even players who don't start in keyboard mode seem to be tending to migrate towards hybrid and then even full keyboard play. It's simply more efficient. Either way, I'll most likely make the auto-targeting work for mouse in the case of 'f', as long as there isn't some unforeseen obstacle to doing that.

I also plan to add a new "part swap mode" for keyboard users, which will further streamline that UI functionality when you have a lot of swapping to do. (Unrelated to this issue, but just mentioning since you'll be testing keyboard mode and may feel that swapping requires holding too many keys--Shift+Ctrl.)

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

I dunno, I can't see myself giving up the right-click-to-view or inventory juggling with the mouse any time soon, even if I'm using keyboard commands to [a]quire vs [g]et, etc.

Then again, that's mostly all I use the mouse for to start with, handy as it is. ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:40:56 AM »

I was just investigating this for Alpha 3, and discovered the original cause of OP's issue: The code was already in place to correctly aim at the previous target in mouse mode, but it started ignoring that state after any point at which you use the mouse to actually fire. (In Alpha 2c it works normally only if you're also using 'f' to also fire.)

Fixed.