Grid Sage Forums

• May 10, 2024, 11:40:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: An option to prompt Y/N before taking the stairs  (Read 1687 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
An option to prompt Y/N before taking the stairs
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »

Currently, the moment you touch the stairs you go the next level.  Usually, that's exactly what you want.  Sometimes however you might want to spend a bit more time on the level.  A couple of times, usually due to combat situations, I have inadvertently stepped on a stair tile when I didn't want to leave the level just yet.  It might be worthwhile to add a toggleable option to give a Y/N prompt before leaving a level.  This is consistent with most other roguelikes, where stepping on an exit tile isn't enough; you usually have to hit a command to leave the level (even in games with no backtracking like DoomRL).  Obviously, this is super low priority.   

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: An option to prompt Y/N before taking the stairs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:39:23 AM »

Already taken care of: Open your options menu and set Auto-Ascend to false.

Then you can go up whenever you're ready :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 06:46:08 AM »

lol last time I suggest an option without first checking the options menu.  By the way, congrats on alpha4!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 06:51:24 AM »

Hehe, I replied too quickly, but later thought to suggest this as a good opportunity to browse the menu for anything else you might find useful ;)

I left that on by default to keep everything as simple as possible for beginners. I should put in another tutorial reminder after 100 games: "HEY YOU! EXPERIENCED PLAYER! Have you bothered to read the whole options menu yet???"

Thanks and happy playing. Definitely the most enjoyable release yet, in my opinion. Obviously a trend we should stay true to :)

Draco18s

• Cyborg
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »

One suggestion would be that if the player says "I want to go here" and they touch the stairs, they shouldn't auto-ascend unless their destination was the stairs.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »

That's an excellent suggestion for when auto-ascend is active! Consider it done.

Draco18s

• Cyborg
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

Cool, because then I'd turn it back on. With it on I was constantly ascending when I didn't intend to, and so I turned it off, and now occasionally step-off when I misclick trying to ascend.

So that'll be a nice fix.