Grid Sage Forums

• May 16, 2024, 06:11:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Alpha 7b+hotfix] Unknown crash on opening Terminal info after failed Trojan install at adjacent Gar  (Read 1851 times)

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

Today my game crashed and i don't  know why !?
Alpha_7b-Hotfix is installed. Was in -10 and discovered round about 70% of the lvl.
Than i tried to reprogram a garrison but the hack failed. Besides this Garrison was
a Terminal i wanted to research (x, d) ...than crash. no save and new start at last savepoint,
in this case the beginning of -10...hope you recieved my crashlog.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Ouch, another crash. Interestingly, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of the new content, as if it's been there for a while, but the circumstances must be strange since it's in a location that is fairly often accessed.

I do have the log, and thank you for the extra info!

I'll investigate today and put out another hotfix assuming I can repeat it, which based on what you've said I think I can.

When you failed the Trojan(Reprogram), did the Garrison terminal lock down? Or just trace you? Or did you disconnect before that? Apparently when you tried to open the terminal info it crashed when trying to access the world's Trojan data for display.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Hm, I've been looking into this and it's quite odd.

Very hard to track what went wrong here since it seems likely to have been caused by something that happened previously elsewhere on the map, such as destroying other machines to mess something up in the data.

Probably quite rare, in any case :/ (this appears to be one of the worst bugs we've encountered so far in terms of elusiveness!).

I've added more related data output to the code for Alpha 8, but will have to sit on this one for a while to learn more.

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

fresh from work...i try to remember.
After the trojanfail the Garrison-Terminal locked down.
Beside this Garrison was a grey strange Construction and i looked
with x and the infoscreen said it's a Terminal. i pressed d (for eventually deeper info) and crash.
After the Crash i directly run to this Garrison to find out what happend...but nothing. The Terminal was
total ok and green...and nothing crashed. weird. (and on win10 no linux this time)

*edit: Seed: 1459284103
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:46:48 PM by Enno »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Ah, from your earlier post I thought you didn't have a checkpoint save for some reason, but apparently you did so you were able to get the seed, great.

Now that I have a seed I'll see if there's anything more I can discern, but I'm afraid it has something to do with a specific previous action on your part that led to the other issue (considering that you'd already explored much of the map and probably destroyed some other machines, which I'm guessing may have had something to do with it).

This one will be tough to solve! Thank you for the info.

Edit: Yep, played this one and took all the same (known) steps and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so we'll have to wait on it :/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:19:00 PM by Kyzrati »

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Game crash after blowing up Garrison
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »

I had a fatal crash bug, no idea how to replicate it.  I was on -10 with a small laser and an assault rifle.  I tried to seal a garrison and failed.  I then took the garrison out (shot at the title labeled G).  I then either took one step away or right clicked on the garrison to examine it (I forget which), and the game crashed.  When I started the game again, it placed me back on the stairs, as if the level had never been explored. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Game crash after blowing up Garrison
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »

Yeah, placing you back at the stairs is the way the game recovers from a crash.

This sounds almost certainly like the same problem that Enno reported.

I don't have your crash.log file on the server though (doesn't look like you don't have it set to upload). Check the game directory for that file and attach it here it if you can, thanks, just so I can compare it to Enno's and confirm it's the same issue.

And thanks for reporting and for the detailed description.

It's something about disabling machines (or just getting locked out?) then observing them that was apparently recently messed up. Since the problem is not caused right at the crash point, but sometime before that, I haven't found the cause yet--need more info :/ (Even after seeing where it crashed, I have no idea how to replicate it, either :P. This is by far the toughest bug encountered in the entire project so far... but it's going to be a super easy fix once found.)

Another question: Had you disabled/destroyed other machines on the same floor before the garrison?

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 07:08:18 AM »

I'm at work but when I get home I'll check my cogmind folder for the crash log.  I had not disabled or destroyed any other machine before attacking the Garrison.  I had used one Terminal, but can't remember what hacks I did.

Lately I'm been playing less seriously and doing experiments - I thoroughly explored
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
with sensors, because there's one NPC no one has met yet and I suspected it might be there.  No luck so far.  Anyway, what I intend to do is pick a random seed, ideally one with a terminal and a garrison near the starting point on -10, and I'll keep disabling garrisons until I can replicate the crash.  Maybe that'll help. 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 07:29:01 AM »

If you could replicate it that would be great, though I wouldn't spend too much time on it since I can test faster here (although yeah I'm busy and this could suck up a lot of time, which is why I've been waiting to see how frequent it is and get more clues first--looks like a new issue as of Alpha 7, and not completely rare since it's hit 2 players on -10 already).

Telling me what you'd done elsewhere with machines before the crash is the vital part. This is great to know:
I had not disabled or destroyed any other machine before attacking the Garrison.  I had used one Terminal, but can't remember what hacks I did.
Thanks!

So far the cause seems to be related to examining the garrison after its destruction/lockout (originally I thought it could be any machine, though it happened with a garrison for both yourself and Enno, so that's a new clue). With the crash.log I can confirm that the examine command triggered it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I merged Happylisk's report with Enno's since they're the same issue. I'll be exploring it (again...) today.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:53:51 PM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

And SOLVED!

Don't right-click or otherwise open the data for an interactive machine after destroying its interactive piece (the one with the letter)--this will crash the game every time.

Surprised it's only hit a couple players just now, since this has apparently been in there for several releases now (ever since Trojans were introduced).

I'll just include the fix with Alpha 8, so no update. Thanks for the reports!

Whew.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:09:41 AM by Kyzrati »