Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 06:28:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11.1] Detected trap originally didn't appear on the map  (Read 1641 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

I first detected the trap on which the cursor is located the second time i entered the room (didn't go farther than the door space, i think i waited there a bit for garrison activation to end).
Later, while waiting for the investigation squad to leave after i explored the top path and jammed the garrison, i noticed that specific trap didn't appear on the map.
Upon entering the room, i could see it again without having to re-discover it, and it stayed there afterwards.
I don't think i have any other information that could be relevant (i did use a layout(zone) hack on the terminal above, but it didn't reach that far, as can be seen from the green tiles above the garrison).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11.1] Detected trap originally didn't appear on the map
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 04:32:14 PM »

Yeah this is possible sometimes, it's been reported by one other player before, not updating your map memory in time with trap info despite having a quick visual confirmation, but for performance reasons, since to my knowledge this is a very rare issue I don't think anything will be done about it.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »

I see.

since to my knowledge this is a very rare issue
Funnily enough, i've actually had it happen again, in the same run. This time i actually saw it happen. Possibly related, my framerate was somewhat low at the time, after i explored the majority of the floor. (Unrelated(?) but i don't understand why, only in some maps instances, the framerate drops at about 30 fps when moving the mouse around regardless of whether i'm in Caves or a major floor map like Factory. I'd expect the bigger map to have more trouble, but somehow they both dip about just as low.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 06:03:08 AM »

It wouldn't be related to map size, all that matters in a lot of cases is how much stuff is displayed on the screen, and basically any map is going to be larger than your view can even show at once.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 02:34:53 AM »

all that matters in a lot of cases is how much stuff is displayed on the screen, and basically any map is going to be larger than your view can even show at once.
Unless i misunderstood, it's a graphical issue of all things? That's very surprising.
I was thinking it was maybe related to terrain scanning, and apparently it probably is, but not because of the reasons i thought it might be?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 04:07:21 AM »

Not graphical, no, just something about the data not actually being stored. Maybe there is in fact a way to repeat it with regard to terrain scanning! Map data outside your view holds various variables, and is updated and affected by all sorts of things, but can only ever show one thing at a time, so there could be a way to fool that.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 12:20:11 AM »

Just this morning I was working on another new trap intel feature, and think that some changes to the trap memory system may have resolved this for the next release. Can't be sure it'll cover all cases, but the most common possible cause may have been removed as a result.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 03:17:39 AM »

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention this here (i inaccurately remembered that you knew of the cause for some reason) : At some point (same run as my last post on this topic), when i knew of a location containing unspotted traps, i was able to consistently reproduce the bug : I just had to move out of view of the traps when they were noticed after the label fully appeared but before it disappeared.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 10:05:35 PM »

I just had to move out of view of the traps when they were noticed after the label fully appeared but before it disappeared.
It's not related to the labeling. In fact, if you wait until the label disappears, you can get the same thing to happen :P