Grid Sage Forums

• May 10, 2024, 07:24:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Can't drag items from inventory  (Read 2222 times)

seafrank

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Can't drag items from inventory
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:15 PM »

Hi

This seems to happen pretty often to me in alpha 8 - after playing for a bit I can no longer drag items from my inventory.  Doesn't matter what I am trying to do, drag to map to drop the item, drag to equipment list to equip it, etc.  As soon as I quit the game and restart it I can drag items again - but this doesn't last long until I can no longer drag them again.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Can't drag items from inventory
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »

Hm, haven't heard of this happening to anyone before--it's likely going to be something with your OS. I assume you're using Windows? Are you playing in fullscreen mode? Or windowed?

When this happens can you still drop from your parts list to the ground, and/or from the parts list into your inventory?

Does the mouse not work properly in any other way? (You can still click to move normally, etc.?)

One possible way to fix this without a restart (just a guess that could indicate it's something with your OS) is to trying Alt-Tabbing out of the game and back in. See if that works.

Thanks for the report and we'll get this sorted! (The most important thing here is that it's repeatable, so try and see if there's anything similar about what you're doing each time before it starts happening, since that could indicate the cause if it happens to be something in the game itself, though I'd be surprised since no one has encountered this before in the past year, and it's a pretty basic thing...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:46:14 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

seafrank

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:40 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply!  Everything else seems to work normally.  I am on Windows 7 playing full-screen mode.  I can click around to move, drag from my parts list.  Its just the inventory.  It just happened again and I had to quit out for a restart when I saw this message.  I'll try alt-tabbing next time to see if that fixes it and try to pay attention to what I am doing before it happens.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »

Strange. Yeah I play (and develop) on Win 7, mostly windowed mode but sometimes fullscreen for testing, and despite all the hours have never seen this. Something very weird going on, unless you have greater than 10 items and are trying to click-drag one of the scroll buttons that's an item name, but I imagine that's not the case :P

Sounds like you may have found a real bug, but it's amazing no one has run into this before given that you spend much of the game fiddling with the inventory!

seafrank

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 12:07:47 AM »

It happened once again this play session - one thing I noticed was the border of inventory and parts list was flashing red, which did remind me of other times this happened.  I think it was red due to a core alert.   I had a large storage unit equipped so had 10 max items.  Also playing at 2560x1440 if that matters. 

I'm done for the night and  like you said not a huge deal, just need a restart and doesn't sound like it is affecting anyone else (which makes me think its either user error or some very rare corner case).  Even so, I'll post here again if I notice any other commonalities/reproducible steps.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 12:39:12 AM »

Wow, quite frequent... Bugs are always my top priority because there shouldn't be any :)

Noticing the red border is a good start, though theoretically that's purely a cosmetic thing which wouldn't impact the input capabilities of the window. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the resolution, since 1440p isn't too common among the players, but still that's quite unlikely a factor as I see it.

So Alt-Tabbing had no effect?

Another quick test to do: When it happens, try using the keyboard commands to drop an item from the inventory (Alt-#), or attach one (Ctrl-#). If that also doesn't work then we'd know it has something to do with the game input logic itself, and not something particular to the mouse, which would be a step towards confirming the where the problem might be.

Thanks for the feedback so far, and sorry for the inconvenience! I'm very curious what could be behind such weird behavior.

seafrank

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »

Happened twice playing this morning - both times I had a core alert.     Maybe something I am doing during battle that is causing it since its usually post a heavy battle that I notice it (core alert might just be correlated to that)?   

Both times I also had large storage unit equipped (first time it was 10/10 second time 6/10), though most likely coincidence since I seem to find a large storage unit early every play through lately.

Alt-tabbing doesn't fix it.   Death does fix it :P, so does taking stairs and changing levels.  I can use the keyboard commands when it happens - they work just fine.

seafrank

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »

Happened once again last play through after taking a pounding and getting a core alert.  I wonder if my storage units are getting damaged/destroyed - whats the behavior when that happens?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:01:40 PM by seafrank »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:28:40 PM »

Man, this is crazy that it only happens to you, and with such regularity!

Many thanks for the extra details. Yesterday I was playing the first half of my seed run and all the while thinking of things that would have any connection to your issue. The only possibility I haven't mentioned yet is that maybe you're accidentally entering some different input-blocking mode with a key on the keyboard? (if you're even touching the keyboard during normal play...) When it happens try pressing Escape a few times then trying again. Does that help? (Unlikely given what you've said already, but with debugging everything related should still be checked to confirm.)

Right after it happens, you could also attach a run.log here (a text file in the main game directory) and I can see if any errors start showing up that might have more info.

There is no special behavior when your Storage Units are being damaged. This is an odd UI issue and

One more question: Has this ever happened when you didn't have a core alert? If not then that's definitely a strong clue to go on.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:17:45 AM by Kyzrati »

seafrank

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »

I haven't noticed hitting escape helping at all, I push some keys to move around the map, toggle world map and a few other short cuts but do not use the keys regularly.   

I have not had it happen unless I have a core alert.  I'll try to attach a run.log next time it happens if there seems to be anything interesting in there.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 02:47:29 AM »

UNBELIEVABLE! Found it, and I can't believe this bug hasn't been reported before considering how basic it is and how long the game has been out :P

Apparently continuous border effects like the red glow on critical core integrity were putting the inventory window in a state in which it was specifically unable to handle drag-drop commands, but was otherwise unaffected.

I've uploaded a hotfix/patched exe here [Alpha 9 already has a permanent fix] that you can overwrite your current one with--that should solve the problem for good. (I've also merged this fix with the current Alpha 8 download so that anyone who gets a fresh copy of Cogmind after the date of this post doesn't have to worry about the hotfix.)

Thanks for your help, seafrank!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:17:52 PM by Kyzrati »