Grid Sage Forums

• May 13, 2024, 04:48:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Equipment Sort Adustments  (Read 1422 times)

Star Weaver

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
Equipment Sort Adustments
« on: June 17, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »

I thought I heard there was supposed to be a place for this but I'm not seeing it; don't mind me if i'm actually blind :3

Anyway, the first one I've got is that Light Armor Plating comes between Visual Processing Units and [Improved] Targeting Computers. I kinda feel that all of the non-dequipable items should be sorted together in the first place, but different kinds of processors shouldn't be split by armor?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Equipment Sort Adustments
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »

This isn't a bug (I've moved this to the Ideas board), as sorting is currently based on their internal ID number, which technically splits utilities differently than their subtype, instead basing it on their "effect type" (which uses a different order, since there are many dozens of effects, but a much smaller number of subtypes). That said, I do want to make adjustments to the sorting routine, which isn't yet complete, so I'll put this at the top of the list. I'll probably further rearrange their effect type ordering. (Internal ID order was also what was causing the earlier weapons-before-utilities sorting approach, which was changed in Alpha 9.)

Thanks for bringing it up, though, to make sure it makes it into Alpha 10 since this is an easy thing to change.

Anyone feel free to make part sorting feature requests, as it's new in Alpha 9 so this is the first everyone's had a chance to play with it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:56:50 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Star Weaver

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »

Ah, yeah, I wasn't really sure where to put it.

Once there's more things to sort on I'd love to see a pair of options in the options along the lines of:

Sort equipment by [ name | rank | subtype | power use | integrity % | etc ] then by [rest of options]

Actually little --<nam>--<typ>-- buttons on the frame might be better for that. You were planning on adding a --<sort>-- button down there anyway, right?

Basically I'm thinking it might be worth being able to sort items based on the data in any of the bar graphs as well as by kind and rank. Thoughts? :3

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:14:38 AM »

Sorry I didn't get back to your last post on this one earlier!

Right now I'm rearranging the items in the database so that they won't appear in a strange order as you've found they sometimes can. For now the sorting will always be handled according to that.

I'm not sure about adding yet more sorting options for the parts list, such as based on the visualization criteria. It's a nice idea, though yet more buttons on the frame would be a bit much (there isn't really anywhere good to add them that won't imbalance the UI layout). Maybe simply a special key command for sorting according to the currently active visualization mode, though that's a lot of work for what would be a lesser-needed feature considering that you will only have so many items of a given slot type, and visual comparison via the bar graphs is really quick.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon