Grid Sage Forums

• May 13, 2024, 05:27:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Unremovable *cursed* parts with side effects  (Read 1429 times)

Deliz Seemack

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
Unremovable *cursed* parts with side effects
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »

I've not delved deep enough so far to see them. They might exist but if not, it might be interesting to have unremovable cursed parts (similar to what exist in DCSS) with side effects like slowly draining your energy, slowly draining your matter, slowly building up more heat or even slowly damaging your core. This could tie in with prototype concept.

The interesting thing with this mechanic is that it would force you to take damage if you want to remove it by having it destroyed by others.

There could also be some terminals/stations that could remove it for you.
You can find me on Steam on http://steamcommunity.com/id/delizseemack

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Unremovable *cursed* parts with side effects
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »

It's true there is currently no perfect analogue for the "cursed" item, though the faulty prototype system comes quite close in its effect and how the player treats them.

The biggest problem with a curse-like effect is that it doesn't fit well into the lore. Once you find out what Cogmind is, an inability to simply detach a part at will might seem absurd. (Certainly you can find other absurd things, but this in particular might feel more so, and therefore a highly "gamey" concept, which I'm trying to avoid in general.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »

I actually like the prototype system as some evolution of cursed items. I think that it shouldn't try to mimic the DCSS or other more classical roguelikes.

OT:One interesting thing i found about cursed items it went something like this:  What if your character does not want to remove the cursed item because it's very sentimental to him;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »

I've read arguments by players against traditional cursed item mechanics--some just don't like it. While I wouldn't go that far in my criticism, I do think that faulty prototypes are a nice evolution.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon