Grid Sage Forums

• May 13, 2024, 11:29:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: More shutdowns  (Read 1431 times)

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
More shutdowns
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:52:41 AM »

I was pondering about how after a battle there is a lot of parts but little "corpses". What if normal weapons could leave destroyed bots, like those you find sometimes in scraprooms, the ones that game says that are too damaged to repair? The recycler bots could also dismantle them if you damage some bot like that.
One thing that might be bad is that you could switch weapons and get more parts from such damaged beyond repair bots but i think just generating what they would drop if destroyed on the event of "damaging beyond repair" would help.

So why i think this is a good idea:
  • Adds ambiance, post battle you would have more interesting battlefield
  • Explains somewhat how those bots in scrapyard come to be
  • A way to manage dropped items somewhat, maybe help with crazy recyclers taking away items too fast? They could take time to tear down such robots or maybe drag them to recycling machine?
Some cons:
  • More programming :)
  • More micromanagement after battle
  • More trouble navigating after battle/during it- disabled bots could hinder shooting (at least one shot that would act as a shield, maybe that is good?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: More shutdowns
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »

Yeah, this could be a problem in other ways as well. The main one I can think of being the ease with which you could block entire hallways, which is the reason Engineers are no longer hackable since blocking passageways (via wall construction) is not just "good," as you suggest--it's super OP.

Plus there are already multiple ways to disable robots.

Thematically it's great, but mechanically it wouldn't fit too well. In fact, I think you've summed up the differences nicely with your bullet points ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 06:43:30 AM »

Yeah, this could be a problem in other ways as well. The main one I can think of being the ease with which you could block entire hallways, which is the reason Engineers are no longer hackable since blocking passageways (via wall construction) is not just "good," as you suggest--it's super OP.
Well when i thought about them for "enemy bots" i thought that they would outright destroy them. Only neutral bots would be blocked (for some time until recyclers drag them away?) but i guess if they don't know where you are (i.e. haven't seen you yet) they would not destroy corpses so yeah...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 08:06:21 AM »

Overall it starts to complicate everything, but seeing as how one of the goals in the proposal is atmosphere, I should mention there are a few things coming that also add to the atmosphere of the main complex.

maybe help with crazy recyclers taking away items too fast?
Forgot to address this (though I've brought it up elsewhere): There will be additional ways to deal with Recyclers, I just haven't added them yet. For now firing a single warning shot always does the trick...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon