Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 08:25:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Unlimited relay couplers.  (Read 388 times)

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Unlimited relay couplers.
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:36:23 AM »

As the lore states, couplers have a limited number of codes for Unaware coordination. But where do those codes come from? I would imagine they are generated by some algorithm and get distributed across relay couplers. Then it made me thinking, what if we could get our hands on one of those? I imagine it as something like Relay Interface code generators, a processor that is basically an unlimited relay coupler. Of course such a thing would need a lot of balancing, because of how OP it is. So, here are some of my ideas about how this could be balanced.
  • Rarity. Of course, such a thing should be rare, average bothacker should be only able to get 1-2 across the whole run.
  • Hard to get. This thing is essential part of the RIF system, so Unaware should protect it really well. If you want one, be ready to fight whatever is guarding it.
  • Alert. Whatever the means of getting it, it should be obvious for Unaware that one was stolen, generally increasing alert level.
  • Size. Maybe it should be 2-slot processor?
  • Useless on upper floors. Maybe, once you reach Research, they track the RIF connection down to stolen code generator and remotely permanently disable it.
  • Cooldown. Unlike standard relay couplers which store pregenerated codes, this one need time to generate new ones. For example, it could have maximum of 13 codes (RIF points, or whatever they're called in game, I don't remember), and need about 20 turns to generate each new one. So, unlike with standard couplers, you can only do so much before it needs to generate new codes.
Oh course, I understand such a thing could be against current bothacking game design, it's just an Idea...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Unlimited relay couplers.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 03:20:52 AM »

Indeed that's the background lore and theoretically possible, though yeah for the reasons you know "unlimited" is not happening :P

There is, however, a future RIF ability I have planned which will work with the idea of codes and increasing coupler value (in Beta 11), one that integrated better with the system overall rather than adding something new like this. I mean, extremely powerful parts are always a possibility, too, though there'll be more places to add those later on (so many options and only so much available space, though!).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon